Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 5 month old cat seems to be very itchy. Itching under his…

My 5 month old cat...
My 5 month old cat seems to be very itchy. Itching under his chin excessively till the point of hair and skin removal. What do you recommend?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Thanks for the photo, sorry to hear Ollie has this condition, hopefully is something minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Itchy skin conditions in the chin area of cats are very often caused by a condition called cat acne. The main signs that you see are blackheads and spots, and red irritated areas, while this condition is ugly to look at it rarely affects the cat's life too much. This condition occurs in all ages of cats, and is generally regarded as a trivial disease although the odd case may be secondary to immunosuppression.

2. Mild cases may actually require no treatment except perhaps a cleansing shampoo. More severe case would benefit from an antibacterial/anti-malassezia { Malaseb } wash once a week or twice a week, you can get this over the counter from your vet, from better pet stores and from the likes of Amazon. Very severe cases where there is a deep pyoderma [ skin infection ] may need to be put on a course of antibiotics in addition to the wash, but of course this will mean a visit to your vet.

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Ollie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his skin condition ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott