Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My dwarf hamster has fleas. and he is 3. Vets do not see…

Customer Question
My dwarf hamster has...

My dwarf hamster has fleas

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the hamster's name and age?

Harold and he is 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harold?

Vets do not see hamsters in my area

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
He also has a red swollen mass on his belly
he cant walk properly
3/10/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 4 months ago
Heath Wilkerson

Hi Dr. W here. Frontline Plus Spray is considered safe in Hamsters, and you should be able to buy it at a pet store or feed store. To use it, spray a few sprays on a cotton ball, then rub the moistened cotton ball on your hamster. You can repeat this for a few days if needed. To be sure to completely change the environment, because the flea eggs will survive in the bedding and continue to hatch out even 2 to 3 weeks later!

Cat Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 4 months ago

I hope this helps! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! Please remember to accept my answer, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

Cat Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 4 months ago

Hi checking in? How is it going with the fleas??? -Dr. W