Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She caught her "thumb" nail and partially tore it out. There…

She caught her "thumb"...

She caught her "thumb" nail and partially tore it out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the cat?

There is a small amount of blood, it is still attached she is not limping i dont know if i should take her to ER

Veterinarian's Assistant: Did the cat have a fall?

No, she caught it in the carpet

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Gabby, 2-ish the rescue wasnt sure exact age

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

She has Asthma

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/10/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

This is in almost all cases just a minor sort of injury so no need to go to an ER vet right now, seeing your regular vet during his or her normal opening hours will be just fine. However it may be possible to resolve this problem without going to the vet at all, you could try the following :

1. A torn nail which is hanging there is often a source of discomfort for your cat. You may be able to remove the nail by firmly grasping it and giving it a sharp tug, often they come away very easily, alternatively, you can remove it with scissors or nail clippers. Both of these techniques may cause a little pain but if you are quick it will only be a twinge.

2. It is likely that the quick may then be exposed so, in this case, apply the likes of Neosporin twice a day for a few days. This should very much reduce the risk of infection and if she should swallow some then this is not likely to harm her.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Gabby's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Thank you Dr Scott. I am very happy to hear this, I will try your advice.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr. Scott,I tried to pull it out, but she resisted, I could tell it was barely attached and figured she would pull it out on her own. She did overnight and seems to be right back to her rowdy self today. I will keep an eye on it for any signs of infection.Thanks again,
Shahreh

Hello Shahreh,

I am so glad things worked out so well, Gabby should be just fine now ...

Thanks for the update.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?