Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My puppy was straining to poo and only got one small piece…

My puppy was straining to...
My puppy was straining to poo and only got one small piece partially out (I had to gently pull it out). He has had a big morning poo, a small wet stool around noon and has a full belly. I also found bits of a plastic toy but they were small bits and not a lot of the toy is missing. I’m not sure what to do - other than wait and then for how long? What do I look for, should I give him something and if so, what? He ate kibble, 1/4 can royal canin g I high energy wet and a piece of banana. Please help
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about your little one. What is his name? Has he had any vomiting? Is he eating ok?

Coconut-Maltese 17 weeks old. No vomiting and he has eaten ok - 1/8 can wet about an hour ago and 1/8 can around 1, plus kibble in the am (Fromm). And he had 2 thumbnail pieces of banana about an hour ago

That is great that there has been no vomiting and he has been eating ok. The straining to go could be due to the stools being a little more soft and his colon being a little irritated. With eating various things, it can cause the colon to be irritated and they can strain. I wouldn't be overly worried as long as he's eating ok and not vomiting. The straining has a good chance of getting better with time. Could the straining be due to some of that plastic passing? It is possible and time may be what is needed there.

It could be related-he is so small. I was worried a piec may be stuck in his colon- I am a worrier.
Is there something I should give him? I was going to give him more wet food but was worried that if there is anything it would make his belly more full with no release

The chances something is stuck in the colon is pretty unlikely. Most of the time if a blockage is going to happen, it is in the stomach or intestines and not the colon. I would honestly just continue to feed him like normal. That will help keep his intestinal tract as happy as possible.

Thank you!

I'm hoping that things get back to normal here soon for your little guy! With foreign material that has been eaten, the big signs I watch for as possible issues are vomiting and loss of appetite for over 24 hours. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?