Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 10 year old cat who is coughing like they have the…

Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a 10 year old cat who is coughing like they have the croup breathing out of her mouth she's not eating but still drinking every now and again and wants to be outside in the cold air she appears to be in respiratory distress. My problem is that we had a second cat who we had to put down last week Friday appears to have had the same thing but just acting a little bit differently he did go to the vet and it was determined that he probably got hold of a mouse or something outside who had been poisoned. My cat both these cats are outdoor cats

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what your cat ate?

8 the remaining cat has barely touching food but she is drinking. She's not grooming herself she's breathing with her mouth open she has drainage from her eyes and one nostril and just very fatigued cuz she's coughing all the time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

She was very active outdoor cat outside most of her life a good eater and like I said she is 10 years old but it almost sounds like she has a Strider like she can't catch her breath and that was the problem with the cat who had just passed last week but I don't believe my cat now ate a mouse or was into anything else to her presentation is different than the last cat. It's almost as if she has the flu and can't catch her breath and she sleeps you can hear the rattling in her chest.

3/9/2018
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Cat Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Tom a veterinarian. I would say at the outset your cat ideally needs to see a veterinarian asap, mouth breathing is a severe sign in cats and needs prompt medical intervention, there can be some causes which can lead to sudden deterioration. I'll continue in a second.

So ongoing

Possible causes:

Most coughs in cats ( in the uk where I am) are caused by asthma, you can however get parasitic or infectious causes too (as well as other much rarer causes). These are less common though.

Mouth breathing generally is caused by severe lower respiratory tract disease, so things like pneumonia, asthma and cardiac disease. It could be caused by rarer things like anaemia too (possibly secondary to rat bait ingestion?). I have seen some cats with severe cat 'flu' having completely blocked noses so having to breath through their mouth.

I would say any of these causes need prompt veterinary attention, even flu if it is that bad it is causing complete blockage of the nostrils a veterinarian needs to see that cat for appropriate treatment.

Thanks, ***** ***** BVSc MRCVS

( if you feel my advice has helped please give me a positive rating!)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
there is no guarantee rust my girl will be Ok? There's nothing to do at home? Steamy bathroom? Keep her warm? I'm at a loss.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I think I would be cautious about not taking her to the vet, if she has cardiac disease, asthma or pneumonia (which she could get secondary to having severe flu signs) then she could unfortunately succumb to it. I'm just being precautionary as most cats I've seen who have been mouth breathing have been quite unwell. This doesn't mean though that your veterinarian if you see them won't be able to treat her asthma or flu and some cardiac conditions can be treated.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. That's what I need to know. Thank you Doc.

No problem

(If you feel I've helped please don't forget to rate me)

Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Cat Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen
Tom Crippen, Cat Veterinarian