Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He had a small cut on his nose. He got one shot of convenia…

He had a small...

He had a small cut on his nose. He got one shot of convenia but it began to swell and the tissue turned black.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Sorry, Cat Tabby ten years old in April this year.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes, he is a cat, tabby.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the tabby bleeding a lot?

Not really. He has been flipping his head, and I noticed a spray of blood droos on my robe and a small area where he sleeps.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the tabby's name and age?

Misty, ten years in April, 2018

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Misty?

He used to dig in gopher holes in the yard, plus he would fight with a neighborhood cat (protecting his territory), and would come home with his nose beat up, but it always healed. This time it just got worse. I took him to the vet and that's when he got the convenia shot.

3/9/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Misty. It sounds as if the area had abscessed prior to his being administered the long-acting antibiotic which then couldn't penetrate well into the abscess. Black tissue indicates tissue death (necrosis) which often occurs above an abscess. Misty's vet needs to know what you're seeing. Debridement (removal of devitalized tissue) and opening the abscess widely and flushing it out with an antimicrobial solution and then leaving it open to drain is indicated. A new antibiotic may or may not be needed predicated upon how long it's been since the shot of Convenia was administered. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Is this going to create exensive reconstruction of his nose?

No, you'll be amazed at how quickly the skin defect contracts closed and then heals with a minimal scar. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

We had taken him to the vet who gave him the shot. But, was charged $305 for that visit and wanted another $405 for surgery and a biopsy (she thought it was cancer). If was cancer, I thought he would be doomed. Over the last two or three days he has been swallowing, swallowing, and licking the lower portion of his nose that he can reach with his tongue--and I have noticed that it is turning pink. I believe I have enough info to take him to a local vet. Thank you

You're welcome. I considered squamous cell carcinoma of the nose as well but this is a slow growing cancer and not expected to "swell and have tissue turning black". It does concern me that his vet was worried about that cancer, however. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?