Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat, although he doesn't seem extremely sick, is not

Customer Question
My cat, although he...

My cat, although he doesn't seem extremely sick, is not acting like his usual self. His meow is different (lower) and he gags like he ate grass, but doesn't throw up. He ate last night but not this morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

Kofi, male, age 4.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Kofi?

Indoor/outdoor cat. Has been very healthy, is fed a teaspoon of pumpkin mixed with wet food along with kibble twice a day.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/9/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

When did his symptoms start? Does he have any nasal drainage or sneezing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Last night he seemed a little listless and we noticed his meow was different. He also gagged a little like he ate grass. No vomit . No nasal discharge.

Sorry for the delay, I was on the way to work in the clinic when you wrote back.

Thank you for your responses.

The reason I asked if he was having nasal drainage, or sneezing, is because a cold virus can cause a sore throat (loss of usual voice) and gagging from post nasal drip.

He could also have something stuck in his throat. Try squeezing up and down his throat and see if that makes him gag or respond. If he does, he could have something stuck in his throat. However, if he had something stuck in his throat he would have trouble swallowing.

Stomach acid reflux can also cause gagging and a sore throat. Try giving him 1/4 of a human Pepcid AC tablet. That is an over the counter stomach acid reducer. Give it every 12 hours. You can crush it and put it in some food. You can pop it down his throat and chase it with a few drops of water so he swallows. You can also crush it and put it in a syringe with water.

There are a number of things that can cause a change in the voice of a cat. Most of these things can cause gagging/throat inflammation as well.

1. A viral infection by causative agents such as the feline herpes virus or feline calici virus. These can cause inflammation of the throat and produce a laryngitis. You may, or may not, see other upper respiratory signs with these viruses as well. Bacterial infections can produce similar signs.

2. A foreign body could be stuck in the throat.

3. There could be a polyp, or a mass, in the throat.

4. Laryngeal paralysis which could be caused by a problem with the nerves signals going to that area or due to inflammation.

5. Too much talking. An example of this would be if a new cat kept showing up outside the window and your cat kept telling it to get lost.

6. Hyperthyroidism

7. Hyopkalemia which means low blood potassium

So I would try the Pepcid AC for 2 days. If there is no improvement, or he gets worse, then he should see the vet first thing Monday morning.

If his symptoms progress to the point he is not eating, vomiting a lot, having trouble breathing, abnormal gum color, or other serious signs then he can see the ER vet. They are open 24-7 all weekend.

Some regular vets are open on Saturday morning.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions I may assist you with.

Thank you : )

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian