Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Let me ask again I have a male cat 12 to 13 years old spade…

Customer Question
Let me ask again I...
Let me ask again I have a male cat 12 to 13 years old spade completely indoors Waze about 12 to 15 pounds always been super healthy since Tuesday is not really showed interest in eating ate half a can of wet food yesterday morning he was drinking water but now not eating or drinking anything last time you drink water was Wednesday to Thursday night and he Peed doesn't seem to be in pain thought maybe it was a tooth problem but he keeps licking his butt hole
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

When was the last time he urinated?

Can you try pressing on his sides over his bladder- is he painful?

Is he doing any straining in the litter box?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven't seen him use the litter box I just heard him the night before last. Rite now he is hiding under my bed where I can't reach him. My main problem is he is very heavy and he will fight me trying to put him in a carrier to take him to the vet. I there a sedative I could give him?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He eats grain free cat food both wet and dry but he used to eat fancy feast up until about a year ago. I feed him Beyond mostly but have been trying to get him on a better brand and like I said he started licking his butt. I have to go to work soon but I plan on coming home early to deal with this
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It does look like he has urinated one time since Wednesday / Thursday in the middle of the night
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I feel like I'm being a bad mom cuz I don't know what's wrong with him

It sounds like your cat has a urethral obstruction, aka "blocked cat." This is a very serious condition in male cats where crystals that form in the bladder get lodged in the urethra as it travels through the penis causing urinary obstruction. This leads to distention of the bladder, pain, build up of toxic metabolites, lethargy, vomiting and death if not treated quickly.

The diagnosis is made on palpation of the bladder as these cats will have a large, firm painful bladder.

Treatment is fairly aggressive, and without this treatment tonight he may die.
> First bloodwork is checked to see where his kidney values are and where his Potassium is
> He will then be anesthetized to be "unblocked" using a firm urinary catheter
> He will then need to be placed on IV fluids and have a soft urinary catheter in place for 24-48 hours to monitor urine output and to keep up with his post-obstructive diuresis.
> Once the catheter is pulled and he is urinating normally he should be able to go home.

You need to get him to the local ER vet or your regular vet if they are open to get this resolved.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can he be sedated before I take him?

You could give him some Benadryl. That's about the only over the counter sedative that may help. You can give him 25 mg and that should take the edge off some.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can he wait until afternoon time

If he truly hasn't urinated in over 24 hours, I would consider it an emergency. I understand if you can't, but the sooner the better.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian