Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat was diagnosed a few days ago with lymphoma. My vet…

My cat was diagnosed...

My cat was diagnosed a few days ago with lymphoma. My vet had me start prednisone how long does it take to see if she is responding to treatment, as of right now she still is not eating or drinking

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

London and she is 10 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about London?

She is staying away from the other cats and she just lies under my bed or dresser all day. The past two nights she had been laying next to me and it seems she is holding my arm with her paw

3/9/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry you're going through this with your cat. It usually takes about 24-72 hours on the Prednisone for them to regain their appetites if the Prednisone is going to be effective. What all have you tried to feed him so far?

Wet food and dry food and she doesn’t eat any of it
Should I try baby food

Poor thing. There are a few things you can try that aren't cat food that she might take to. I would try chicken baby food. It is extremely tasty to them. I would also try adding some tuna juice to her food or you can try low sodium chicken broth. Some cats will prefer the wet food to be slightly heated as well. You can also try giving her tuna as well.

Ok I will try that thank you

You're welcome. I hope she takes to one of those options. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian