Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My ragdll cat has been throwing up her food once in a while…

My ragdll cat has...

My ragdll cat has been throwing up her food once in a while but now is doing it a couple of times a day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

No not that I know of... she likes to chew on paper cardboard and plastic bags. Shoe her away but she never eats and she just likes to chew it

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Eva 2 1/2 Years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Eva?

Her coat has changed. On her rear and around her tail and enter her belly all the fair is very short. A used to be very full all the way around the her back

3/9/2018
Chelsea Schwarb

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed veterinarian. I would be happy to help you with your questions regarding Eva tonight. Please let me know when you are back online so we can discuss further. Thank you.

Hi I’m here

Hello! Please tell me for how many days now has Eva been vomiting several times per day (vs vomiting every once in awhile)??
Is her appetite the same over the past few days?

No call at this time

Yes - that is fine...the website just automatically asks you if you want a phone call. But, typing is fine with me!

Ok thanks

Did you see my questions I sent above? -
Please tell me for how many days now has Eva been vomiting several times per day (vs vomiting every once in awhile)??

It’s been several days she threw up on the bed yesterday and this morning and on the carpet.
There was a yellow mucus and solid cat food

Alright, thank you. Given how young she is at only 2.5 years old something like a GI foreign body is pretty high up on the list of concerns for the cause of her vomiting. This would be if she swallowed something that is not able to pass out in the stool on its own. Another possibility is if she has GI inflammation (gastritis) from maybe eating something off the counter or floor that didn't agree with her stomach. She is likely too young for a metabolic or endocrine disease such as Diabetes or liver and kidney disease. And a toxicity seems unlikely at this point since it has been a several day duration at this point. Usually with toxicities they will get a lot worse without treatment.

There is a medication called Cerenia that is very potent in getting a cat to stop vomiting. It has to be prescribed by a vet in person though. If she is vomiting this frequently, then x-rays of her abdomen are indicated to make sure her GI tract does not look obstructed. If her GI tract looks normal on x-rays, then a dose of Cerenia can be administered and she can be administered some fluids under her skin (subQ fluids). I would also send her home with some cans of a prescription bland diet such as Hill's i/d food.

Ok I’ll get her into see her vet then thank you

You're welcome. I hope it is simply an upset stomach and she starts feeling better soon. Please keep me updated on her progress. I would greatly appreciate if you would hit accept at the top right of your screen and leave me a review. Thank you.

Chelsea Schwarb