Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Scaly stuff that was on her ears thats now on her foot. we…

Customer Question
Scaly stuff that was...

Scaly stuff that was on her ears thats now on her foot. we used tresaderm and it cleared up her ears but now we have t work on the foot. My girlfriend recently got these unexplained bumps on her hands and i seem to have a rash or infection on one of my knuckles. Im worried its ringworm

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

She was found on the side of the road back in november she was only 3 weeks old and is about 4-5 months old now. when we picked her up she had mites and fleas that were taken care of by the foster

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/8/2018
Cat Veterinarian: CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

Can you post a couple photos of the affected areas on kitty for me to have a look at?

Ringworm, more properly known as dermatophytosis, is indeed contagious to people, andkittens from dodgy backgrounds are a common source of human infection. You can read more here:

CDC page on pets and ringworm

*to people, and kittens from.......

I need to learn to proofread better.

Thanks. I'll peek and then comment.

That definitely looks very suspicious of a dermatophyte infection aka ringworm.

Here's what you need to do for the best outcome and quickest resolution of the problem: Make an appointment ASAP with your local veterinarian. Ask them to do a FUNGAL CULTURE of that lesion.

In the meantime do not clean kitty's foot or remove the crusty flaky stuff or put any more medication on it. You want the fungal spores alive so the test will turn up positive if it is in fact a fungal infection. Don't handle kitty any more than necessary, and see your own physician to discuss your own care.

Your vet may want to start using a topical or even systemic antifungal medication before the fungal culture results are complete because that can take up to two weeks. I like Miconazole lotion topical and terbinafine oral for my ringworm kitties. Some vets have their own favorite meds to use since there are other drugs in the same category.

Don't panic. Ringworm is a nuisance and not dangerous unless someone is severely immunosuppressed. I've had a minor case (hand, forearm, face) on more than one occasion since it's a common workplace hazard for cat vets.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But the thing is she had the same thing in both of her ear flaps. We had them cleaned and applied a topical cleaning solution then put on tresaderm for the past week and now her ears are all better.

It is very common for ringworm to spread from paw to ear or vice versa in cats due to their grooming habits.

When in doubt, test. If it's negative, you know you don't have to pursue a month of treatment.

Tresaderm is not an accepted treatment for known cases of ringworm. I haven't used it in cats in 25 years.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand that but we just took her to the vet and he thinks it’s a yeast infection and gave us a new topical solution andwants us to use tresaderm again on it

Well if the vet has already seen the paw lesion and decided it's not ringworm, I'm not in a position to argue other than to ask what his/her fungal culture results were.

I'm just saying that we don't use Tresaderm to treat ringworm as it is terribly inferior to other medications for that.

I can't see that dry, flaky foot lesion being a yeast infection, but that's just me. I have practiced exclusively on cats for 27 years and been a vet for 36. I've seen a few feline skin problems in that time.

I can ask customer service to refund your money if you do not agree with my professional assessment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No i sought out a second opinion I don't want you to think I'm questioning you I just like to question things to death. What about clotrimazole?

I'm back.

Are you thinking about using clotrimazole OTC topical cream? Since it is not formulated for use on cats, who love to lick creams and ointments off, I can't recommend it. It's not meant to be ingested.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian