Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 9 lb cat with. Outdoor cat with a puncture wound…

I have a 9...

I have a 9 lb cat with

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

Outdoor cat with a puncture wound that is oozing a clear yellowish fluid. Can I give the cat Pen G for this? If so how much and is it a sub q or I’m shot?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the cat bleeding a lot?

Not noticing any blood wound looks clean other than the fluid coming out

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she’s just about 1 yr

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tig?

Acting fine. If I press near the wound more fluid comes out. Almost puss like

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Where is the puncture located?

2- Is she strictly indoors?

3- Is she licking the wound?

Puncture is on her back in front of her left leg, she is an outside cat, I didn’t notice her licking the wound
I have pen g can I give her that?

Can you keep her inside for several days while treating the wound?

we can keep her inside while treating

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, I would not advise you to inject your cat with Pen G. Instead, this is what you can do:

1- Do not let her lick the wound she is going to delay healing. Pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Thank you

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian