Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have 2 3 week kittens with cronic eye infections. 3rd

I have 2 3...

I have 2 3 week kittens with cronic eye infections. 3rd kitten in litter is fine. Tried flush and terramycin twice day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?

Sadie and Nellie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?

No, they eat just fine and seem in perfect health

3/8/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sadie and Nellie. Terramycin ophthalmic ointment is a good choice for the bacterial (Chlamydophila, Mycoplasma) conjunctivitises when dosed thrice daily for a minimum of 10 consecutive days but if you haven't seen a positive change or, indeed, their eyes have worsened, you're seeing evidence of the more common feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) conjunctivitis. Thankfully, this is expected to go into remission within 1-3 weeks unaided but your vet can prescribe an antiviral ophthalmic product containing cidofovir which should hasten resolution of an FHV-1 conjunctivitis. Alternatively, the systemic antiviral drug famciclovir can be prescribed. This drug should be formulated into a tasty suspension for ease of administration. Both the cidofovir and famciclovir are available through veterinary formulating pharmacies. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Hi Joanie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian