Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Will a cat react negatively to another cat if that other cat…

Will a cat react...

Will a cat react negatively to another cat if that other cat isn't feeling well? React extremely aggressively.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

I think he may have worms.

Veterinarian's Assistant: There are all sorts of infestations the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

The aggressive cat is 3 , brother to the other cat, and starting Tuesday night has been extremely aggressive. We put the one cat in a room, and the other sits outside the door with his tail bushed out and nose under the door. The aggressor is Bad at and the other is Bond.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Vadar, not "bad at".

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

They are indoor cats. Both neutered, and have never had these issues before. Vadar is perfectly normal other than the aggression.

3/8/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Hello I am Dr Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry that you're going through this. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.
Cats can react to each other if there is a health problem however it would be unusual if it was caused because of worms or intestinal parasites. We see it more if one cat has gone to a veterinary hospital or has left the house and comes back or if there's some other more extreme illness. It probably is not making it any better that they're isolated from one another. It sounds like there may be something else going on. If Bond is showing some symptoms of illness than I would certainly recommend getting him checked out. Also you may want to implement comfort zone or feliway. It's a pheromone product that may help with anxiety and stress in the home. It comes in either a spray or a plug-in diffuser. I understand why you're separating them but it may end up complicating things even more. I would certainly make sure that you either have both or at least Bond evaluated to make sure that there's nothing going on with his health. Can you think of anything unusual that happened when these behaviors started? Was there any specific event between the two cats or anything that change between them or in the home?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I had a client! There was some minor renovations, ceiling fans installed and a stove exhaust installed. Nothing else that I can out my finger on. I know they should probably not be separated, but Bond couldn't go down stairs to eat or use the cat box yesterday. I have an appointment tomorrow for Vadar at the vet.
Sorry for the delay. I was in surgery. I think that's a really wise choice to have Vader examined. Maybe your veterinarian will make some recommendations for some temporary behavior modification medications. I don't blame you for separating them, I would do the same. Please keep me posted on how things are going. Maybe you can put them together when you are home so that you are able to monitor them. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I'm happy to help. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating we can continue this conversation for about a week so keep me posted. Sincerely ***** *****

H​ello, I just thought that I would check in with you again. I hope that you are doing ok. Please keep me posted on how the appointment goes tomorrow.

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do.Thank you.
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian