Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We have an adult male about 12 years old. For all or most of…

Customer Question
We have an adult...

We have an adult male about 12 years old. For all or most of his life, he has seemed to have nasal allergies, He sneezes a lot and usually sneezes out a lot of mucus. I was wondering if it is safe to give him human generic Benedryl. My daughter had a Ruby King Charles Cavalier Terrier and the vet told her to give her the Benedryl tablets 2x a day for her dog's itching allergy.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Whitey.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Whitey?

Not that I can think of right now, but besides the sneezing and flnging of mucus on us. He may have worms from fleas, and he is a large cat. I think he is about 15 pounds.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/8/2018
Cat Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back soon with a reply.

You can try the benadryl an see how it goes. Dogs generally get a little sleepy with it, but some cats can have the opposite reaction and get hyperactive. It's certainly not toxic, so worth a shot. for a 15# ***** you can give 1/2 of an adult tablet up to 3 times daily, or a tsp of children's liquid. Definitely get on some good flea medicine, as fleas can contribute to allergic congestion.

If he's sneezing a lot with mucous he may need antibiotics, so if it's not getting better definitely see a vet. Hope it helps him! Kindly consider rating my answer; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.

How's Whitey doing?

DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian