Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I think my cat threw up bright red blood. I only see the…

Customer Question
Hello I think my...

Hello I think my cat threw up bright red blood. I only see the blood, very little other fluids or particles.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your cat eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of. We are staying at a friends and he has been confined to one room.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

He is acting normal Rico, age 1

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Rico

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/8/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I am sorry you are going through this with your cat. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with the vomiting blood. Common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, ulcers, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home to pinpoint the exact underlying cause. I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt