Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I adopted a 5 month old kitten from petco not knowing it was…

I adopted a 5...

I adopted a 5 month old kitten from petco not knowing it was a feral cat. It has been hiding in my closet and wont come out except late at night to use the litter box. She has only eaten once since shes been here (6 days now). Im worried and dont know what to do for her. Any suggestions?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the kitten will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

No thats pretty much all i know about her except that she has been fixed

3/8/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What makes you believe that she is feral?

Have you contacted the adoption agency thus far?

Has she been examined and treated by your vet?

Is she in a room where there is no foot traffic?

I called petco where i got her and they gave me the name of the organization i adopted her from. It is "cat utopia" and from what i read about them they specialize in feral cats. They did tell me that she was fixed and has had her shots and was dewormed. And yes she is in a room with no foot traffic. At night she will come out and go potty and meows a little but wont eat.

A rescue entity working with feral cats does not necessarily mean that she's feral. More often than not what happens is that a mother is feral and has kittens that are collected before they are old enough to fear humans, socialized, then adopted out. This can, however, have some bearing on how quickly they recover from stress (such as being adopted out).

The first thing I would recommend doing is getting in touch with cat utopia. They will want to know if one of their kittens is not doing well in its adopted situation. Moreover, the longer that cats go without eating the higher the risk of secondary problems.

Since you've mentioned that your kitten was also fixed, had shots and was dewormed, I am concerned that other necessary testing was not performed such as a feline leukemia and feline aids test. This can have some bearing on a cat's over health and make them avoid food in some situations.

Here are my main concerns: When cats begin not eating their liver suffers the effects. This can result in a condition known as Fatty Liver Disease (aka Hepatic lipidosis) which can result in liver failure if not addressed. This can happen in as little as 3 days, so her not eating well for 6 is a huge red flag. More info here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2135&aid=217

I would schedule some diagnostics at this time. Bloodwork to look at the liver values would be wise, but also to determine on the blood work if there are any additional concerns which might have originally been the cause of not eating. We can see medical concerns like liver disease, pancreatitis, kidney disease, bladder infections, periodontal disease, etc. all contribute to not eating in any age of cat.

If you must address this from home, I would be sure that you are offering the foods that cat utopia was originally giving the kitten. I would also try pureed baby foods (like chicken and turkey, without any garlic in the ingredient panel) and I would also try KMR (kitten milk replacer). If she feels comfortable in the closet, clear the floor and push the door to so that she has some privacy. Keep her food, water and a litter box inside the closet. Check for signs of eating/drinking every day and minimize foot traffic. If she is not eating at all, she truly needs medical assistance. The longer she goes without eating the higher the risk of the aforementioned hepatic lipidosis. It is possible for a cat to stress themselves out to a point that they stop eating, suffer liver problems and they can pass away from this (you'd think a cat would start eating before this point but many of them simply don't). Force feeding may be necessary with a syringe and liquid food like baby food, KMR or Hill's A/D from your vet. Once you've addressed the fear and she's eating and drinking, you can give her access to the room that the closet is in. Keep everything calm. No noisy children running around. Minimize foot traffic. Avoid toilets flushing in the area. Keep radios and TVs to a minimum in the area, etc. As time goes on, she should become more comfortable with the closet and it's associated room. From there, she can explore to the rest of the home. Basically, start small and work your way up. Right now the most important thing is to get her eating and drinking.

If you need help finding a vet in your area, please let me know. I'll need your city and state.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you for all that information. I am happy to say that she is now eating but i believe i will still call cat utopia and also schedule an appt with the vet. Thank you again for your time.