Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is experiencing very labored breathing. Repete he is 18…

He is experiencing very...

He is experiencing very labored breathing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Repete he is 18 months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Re-pete he is all black and we also have another cat thats all black so we named them Pete and Re-Pete.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Re-pete?

Yes, Monday last he came in at dark and I noticed him like gasping for air his eyes were all glassed over he kept his mouth open and tongue hanging out. I,m not sure if he has been poisoned or perhaps hit by a car. However he doesn't cry out when I touch his body but he is very gingerly with his movements

3/8/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about Re-pete. I am working on a response and will be back shortly.

thank you

In my opinion and in my experience, anytime a cat has labored breathing or respiratory distress it is considered an emergency. I have learned over the years that feline respiratory issues must be taken seriously and can go from ok to worse very quickly. It sounds like there may have been something very traumatic that happened to him. Honestly, if you have a veterinarian that you trust, he needs a thorough physical exam and possible x-rays to adequately determine what the underlying problem is and how it can be treated. typing more...

I wish that I could just tell you what the problem is but there are so many things that can contribute to respiratory compromise in cats from toxicity, metabolic, asthma, trauma, infection, or other. It really requires a thorough exam and work up to determine what he should be treated with but I wouldn't wait to have him checked out. I hope that makes sense. I am so sorry that you are going through this and I hope that he is feeling better soon. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

I would like to use your call me feature however my phone was recently stolen so I have no way to call we live in a very rural area I have no close neighbors to use their phone but next time for sure

T​he other thing that concerns me is that he is not moving properly and seems to have some discomfort. It would be important to make sure that he doesn't have any major injuries. Don't worry about the phone call. The system automatically asks for a phone call but it doesn't matter. I can continue typing as long as you need me to! I am happy to help.

Do you have a veterinarian that you can take him to tomorrow?

I have not been able to get him to eat anything and very little water

It sounds like he is not feeling well enough and is not stable enough to want to eat. You can try some low sodium chicken broth, chicken gerber baby food and you can use a small syringe to feed him water or a slurry of food. You have to be careful to not stress him out too much if he has labored breathing though.

I wish that there was some at home treatment that I could suggest that would make everything better with him, but unfortunately this case sounds a bit more complicated. I guess you have two options 1. take him in and get him treated 2. monitor him for improvement and provide supportive care.

I can take him in tomorrow I will go first thing thank you...salley and repete

I think that would be the best thing. Please keep me posted. I am concerned about the situation. I will check in with you tomorrow. If you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated. Even after the rating, we continue this conversation for about a week, so keep me posted.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian