Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

His collar cut into his neck he's acting fine he's walking…

Customer Question
His collar cut into...

His collar cut into his neck he's acting fine he's walking around fine ratting and dranking , but skin is raw and just looks very very sore I've been cleaning it out with Bacitracin ? I don't no what els to do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the cat bleeding a lot?

No last night we cut his power off of him and he was bleeding a little we cleaned it out with warm water and it's not bleeding anymore but it does have a deep red mark around his neck so I've been putting Bacitracin on his neck every couple hours today

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Squeaky he's 11 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

His name is ***** ***** 11 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Squeaky?

No he's seems happy he's playing and he's not upset when I'm putting the Bacitracin on them

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/8/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Squeaky.

Please give me time to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience, Deb

Bacitracin is a good product to use on him but take care that you don't apply too much so that he might ingest some of it when he grooms his body. It's not toxic, per se, but it may cause gi upset if he licks a lot of it.

I do have a few additional suggestions which may decrease healing time:

1. I'd clean his skin with over the counter Betadine or Iodine to the color of weak tea. Warm water is fine if that's all you have but Betadine or Iodine have anti-bacterial properties and are what I tend to suggest for wounds of this nature.

2. A excellent product for issues involving the skin especially wounds will be Vetericyn Spray. It's safe if ingested and has been shown to increase healing. It's also safe if he happens to ingest any of it.

In case you were wondering, you won't want to give him any otc medications for pain since cats are sensitive to so many of them which may cause harm and is the last thing we'd want to do.

Cats tend to be pretty amazing healers so I would expect that you should see significant improvement after even just a few days. However, if you don't, then a vet visit may be a good thing to do. It's possible that he may need systemic antibiotics although I suspect he'll heal just fine with the topical one you're using.

I hope this helps, Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Squeaky. How is his wound? Deb