Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My little “bengal” like kitty is only 2 years old. He’s

Second opinion] Hi! My...

Second opinion] Hi! My little “bengal” like kitty is only 2 years old. He’s indoor-outdoor and recently has lost his fur under his belly and back legs. He’s been tested for ringworm, urinary tract infection and flea/mites, etc. All fine. He’s been on antihistamines for a couple wks with no improvement and now he’s getting more lethargic and doesn’t seem interested at all in food. Any recommendations for more things to test for would be greatly appreciated.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?

Flash

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Flash?

He’s lost so much hair on his belly and back legs, but doesn’t seem to be kicking or biting

3/8/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

I'm peeking at your photos right now and will be back to comment in a minute.

Oh he is "stripping".

Can you see any tiny red bumps in the areas he has licked the fur off?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi! No, no bumps that I can see
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just pink skin
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He’s on revolution, but I’m wondering if the tests the vet did for mites and/or ringworm weren’t right

Makes me want to nuzzle him and blow raspberries, lol.

I can think of two main things that might be going on here:

1) Impacted anal sacs - cats with this problem frequently lick fur off various body parts due to the discomfort/stress. Your vet can check for this problem in the exam room and usually take care of it right there.

2) Food allergy - the most common food allergen is fish, so make sure he doesn't have access to any foods with fish in them (though food allergy kitties tend to scratch at their head/neck and get random sores from scratching rather than this nice clean alopecia).

My money is on the anal sacs but I have the unfair advantage of 36 years of experience so it's not a fair bet.

If he's on Revolution he doesn't have mites of any kind anymore. It kiils them daider than daid.

Ringworm doesn't present like this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Interesting!! Ok thank you. I love this little kitty SO much I can’t bear to see him like this
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He’s just not himself

YVW. Happy to help.

If it's anal sacs he's stressing and uncomfortable. All he can do is point in the general direction of the problem since his English language skills are poor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll take him to the vet asap about the impacted anal sacs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Haha ok thank you so much!!

Good. plan. You can bookmark this chat window and then come back with a progress report in a few days.

Please be sure to rate my response when you are through so I can be credited with helping you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok sounds good! You’re awesome, thank you. And fingers crossed it’s something we can fix.

I love cats that do that!

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian