Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cats left eye is swollen. Indoor cat. Never goes outside.

My cats left eye...

My cats left eye is swollen. Indoor cat. Never goes outside. I have a picture.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Blanca. She is 4.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Blanca?

Not really. Other than she lives here with her two sisters and her mom. She’s allergic to small granular litter (she get skin condition) so we don’t use it. None of them have ever had an eye thing happen.

3/8/2018
CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'mCustomerand I can help with your question.

A photo would be great! Please attach it to this chat window and I'll have a peek.

How long has this been going on, and did it happen slowly or suddenly?

Did you get the pic?

Poor Blanca!

Her eyelids are swollen and the rim or her eyelids looks a bit red. The eyeball itself looks fine from what i can see.

Has she been sneezing lately?

Is she prone to watery or squinty eyes?

No sneezing and has never had any eye issues.
Wondering if there is an ointment I can give her.

Well there are two main possibilities here.

She could have been boxed in the eye by another cat, but this is not terribly likely if they are accustomed to each other and get along.

The other possibility is feline herpesvirus (FHV) - which is the most commoncause of nontraumatic eye disease in the cat, and also the most common cause of upper respiratory infection in cats. THey catch it from their mom very early in life, and virtually all pet cats have it. Most the time it doesn't cause trouble, but like human cold sores, sometimes it pops up.

This also could be a bacterial eye infection or even Chlamydophila, too, though they are much less common.

I treat FHV kitties with Viralys powder, a lysine supplement for cats. You mix it into canned food twice a day, usually for a month or so. It doesn't cure FHV but really limits how much harm it can do. Untreated FHV can be disastrous for eyes.

Some of these cats with other types of infections need specific eye medication but only your local vet can make that determination.

The lysine is an easy thing for you to do right away while you wait and see if it gets worse or just doesn't clear up and then you need to take her to your vet.

Well.....she does fight often with her siblings. How do I get this medication?

Viralys powder is found in many pet stores and also online. It is non-prescription since it is a nutritional supplement.

Viralys powder mfr website

Ok. I’ll try it. If it is swollen because of a tussle with her sister it will get better on its own correct?
Thanks for your help.

If she just got smacked, it should be fine in a day. If it's worse, then it's more likely severe FHV.

YVW. Happy to help.

Please let me know if you think of any other questions about this.

When you are through,, please do rate my response so I can be credited with helping you. You can still return here (bookmark this chat window) to update me in a couple of days. I'm always interested to hear how things turn out.

Ok. I will. One last thing. What is the supplement doesn’t help clear it. Is it painful for the cat?

Squinting is the clue that it's painful. So if the squinting gets worse, that's the main indicator that you need to see your local vet. Some of these cats with eye problems get to rubbing and then give themselves a corneal ulcer so that is really painful and is a serious thing needing urgent treatment.

CalCatDoc
CalCatDoc, Cat Veterinarian
She’s much better. No swelling. Guess she got into it with one of her siblings. Thanks again.

Could have been a little insect bite, too.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

CalCatDoc