Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Chewy, my very stressed, traumatized cat this week, (

moving, mold in new place...
Chewy, my very stressed, traumatized cat this week, ( moving, mold in new place and the plumber ran into the bathroom while he was using his litter box which resulted in him climbing INSIDE the couch for the rest of the day), is now on day 6 and no bowel movement. A vet recommend using 1/4 tsp Miralax. I looked up the ingredient of Miralax, Polyethylene glycol (PEG) is made from ethylene glycol (ethane-1,2-diol), the main ingredient in antifreeze. I am sooo not feeling this is a good idea. Are there any natural alternatives to Miralax? Plus, I am looking to add Probiotics to assist his colon health. Chewy has good BM habits unless he is very stressed with moving, being inside the car. He's in good spirits, eating (reduced amounts past two days), drinking water, playful (we went on a hike this afternoon) and is peeing fine. The vet also recommended to increase his fluid intake, her idea of providing tasty tuna juice was wonderful. Thank you!
3/8/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

The plumber was here 2 days ago, I noticed he was going to his litter box often with no results for a short time right before the plumber came in. I have never seen him frantically run in a crouched position like that, ever, so terrified. There was nothing I could do to calm him down. Also, the day we moved to the new place with all of the goings on no water bowl was put down for him until the next day...ouch, I know! I began giving him chicken hoping it would be easier on him (he usually gets wet food and I do give him cooked chicken, rarely pink salmon from pouch and tuna in spring water very rarely).

I'm sorry to hear about poor Chewy, it sounds like he's had a rough time of it.

If he is still eating and drinking normally and not vomiting there are a few things we can do to help him.

One is to increase fiber by adding canned or fresh cooked pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal. One tablespoon to each meal to start.

This is just a guideline, you can adjust the amount based on his ease passing stool as well as whether his stool is too soft.

I understand that you don't want to use Miralax. This is NOT the same as antifreeze. This product is not digested or absorbed, it sits in the intestinal tract and draws in water, which helps soften stools and hopefully gets things moving. You can use that instead of the pumpkin if he refuses to eat pumpkin. Sprinkle 1/8 th of a teaspoon on his meals. If you use Miralax make sure to increase his fluid intake as because it works by drawing fluids into the intestines it can lead to dehydration if his fluid intake isn't increased enough.

Increasing the amount of fluids in his diet in general will help as well. You can add low salt chicken or beef broth to his food and feed canned foods. The more fluids he takes in the better so if he likes to drink from the tap offer him that option as well.

Getting him to play and move around sometimes help to get the intestinal tract moving properly.

If he is vomiting or no longer eating we are probably beyond home therapy. He needs to see his veterinarian. But you can use the above tips for preventative measures in the future. And if he seems to have chronic troubles with constipation pumpkin can be used chronically if needed.

You might also wish to add a probiotic to get his gut bacteria back to normal. Fortiflora, Proviable or Benebac are very good ones.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Since we have been at the new place I noticed he has several times sneezed (my roommate and I both have had severe allergenic responses since being here. I have a mold, dust and cat allergy. Mold/dust being the strongest, cats more mild. Chewy has also been sleeping more. I attributed that to all the moving/new place trauma.

I suspect that a lot of dust has been kicked up with the move. And of course being stressed any latent respiratory infections could become active again.

As long as he doesn't have a colored nasal discharge, isn't running a fever, and is still eating I would not worry too much about that.

I am sure his sleeping is related to stress and overall exhaustion due to all of the changes in his life.

No vomitting. He has been asking to drink from the tap ( I always indulge him, every bit of water is good for him). Our move did not entail lots of dust as we had that done the week before and I used a dry vapor steamer on the carpets, vacuumed it all up with a heap filter vacuum a week before coming here. The plumber was called in 2 days ago when I saw standing water on top of a black contractors trash bag under the sink. We got a mold test kit, mold growing nicely, due to the severe allergy reaction we both had (roommate does not have dust allergies). Chewy's litter box and temporary food dishes were placed in the bathroom with the standing water under the sink. The plumber fixed the leak, and removed the contractors bag, leaving water on the bathroom floor (presumably from the standing water from the leak).

I am glad that he isn't vomiting.

So his nose may well be reacting to mold spores.

I don't think his constipation is related to the mold however. It takes long term exposure to see systemic signs of mold toxicity. And most mold in the environment, while definitely an irritant is not the toxic type.

I would thoroughly clean that bathroom with bleach, which is an excellent fungicide. Of course given your sensitivities wearing a mask when doing so is best. Then run strong fans for several days in there to dry everything out well.

Thank you very much for the Probiotic suggestion, I was looking into that already and am grateful for your suggestion. He sneezed and there was a bit of nasal discharge, clear when he sneezed. No fever, is eating/drinking well. Shen he was a kitten he and his sister were feral kitten rescues, they both had a respiratory infection when they were about 5 weeks old. My mother treated them both and Chewy has been fine ever since, his sister however seemed to have issues he never did. I would also add, my mother does not believe in nutrition as I do and her cats eat a poorer diet including dry kibble. I feed chewy a quality wet cat food and include homemade chicken (at times I will give him freeze dried meats especially lamb his favorite). I also sprinkle on Wysong's Call of the Wild cat supplement.
Would being in an environment prior (long term exposure, lived there 15 months, moved due to that mold issue not be resolved, mold remediation not being done by landlord, Chewy was 6 months old when I got him) be considered long term exposure? I know that I am now hyper sensitive to any mold in an environment and that means, hours in a place I feel it. hence the severe allergic reaction.

Great nutrition is the cornerstone building block of a healthy being. Without it the immune system and their organs cannot function at peak efficiency and we often see chronic illnesses as a result. Of course genetics plays a part too, and perhaps your mom's kitty drew the short straw there. A clear nasal discharge simply tells me the respiratory system is doing its job producing mucous to push out irritants and protect the respiratory tract.

Most molds we find in our homes are not the toxic type. Yes, they may be irritants, and of course that isn't healthy, but they aren't truly toxic. Chronic toxic mold exposure leads to liver disease, severe pneumonia and lung inflammation, severe long term lethargy, weight loss, poor coat.

I would not expect to see constipation as a primary symptom.

Thank you, ***** ***** much better about understanding mold toxicity. Do you feel it has just been a traumatic week for Chewy and that his 6 days with no BM will just resolve itself in due time?

I know it has been traumatic, and I am hopeful since he isn't vomiting that if he continues to eat and drink he can resolve this.

But if he starts vomiting and refuses to eat at all, it is time for an exam.

Btw, Chewy's sister, Bugsy aka RedGirl, had complications and was barely 7lbs, she lost so much weight, had very bad breath and my mother realized she had been dealing with a major illness with RedGirl for at least a year. My mother adored her beyond measure. She's been gone now almost a year. Chewy will be 9 in August. Our oldest cat, Sir ***** *****ved to be 22 yrs old (over vaccination protocol the vet said got the better of him), Nebi is 13 this year, and the youngest being Chewy. I AGREE with you on nutrition being the cornerstone of health. I am just beginning to understand the role of Probiotics in health. Wow on that topic. Thank you for your service, it is deeply appreciated.

You are very welcome, glad to help.

We are always learning, and each pet helps us be better owners. I'm sure Chewy appreciates how much you care and are trying to do for him.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chewbacca (Chewy). How is everything going?

Dr. Kara