Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My daughter's cat (3 y/o--newly adopted, neutered, female)

My daughter's cat (3...

My daughter's cat (3 y/o--newly adopted, neutered, female) pulls litter from the pan, creates a pile, then poops in it and covers it up. We've changed litter, got a second pan (one for pee, and one for poop ) she still is doing it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Cat's name is Mia. Has lived in Hawaii. Age 3.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Cat?

No. Healthy, newly adopted. Won't poop in the pan. Pees in the pan.

3/7/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

ok. Mia likes to be petted, but knows when she has had enough. No other obvious problems. Just a refusal to poop in the litter. We've tried crystle litter and clumping litter. She didn't like the crystle litter. Still pooping right outside the box after making a pile of litter to poop in.
Mia is up to date on her immunizations and has been neutered.
Litter is cleaned daily.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Mia today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

Cats are very specific in their litter box preferences. It sounds like she still wants to use litter for defecation, by may have developed some sort of an aversion to the litter box when defecating. Something may have happened when she defecated in the litterbox at one time and she associates that negative with defecating in the box. You are lucky though in that she want to use the litter and you can use that to help get her back to some type of litter box.

You may want start by giving her a pile of litter near where she is creating her own, but on a easy to clean surface where you can just dump the whole pile after she uses it. You can then progress to changing to maybe a very low sided tray with a pile of litter in it.

What kind of an aversion to a litter box experience could she have had?

Her preference may be that she doesn't like to use a box with sides. Or it may be that she only wants a small bit of litter to use. The only way to know if to try different things so that her preference is found, but it is still something that you can easily clean up. It is not uncommon at all for these things to happen.

If, for instance, she ever had an unpleasant defecation (pain while passing stool, upset stomach, stool getting stuck on hair, etc) it could make her associate that getting into the box to defecate may be the cause and as such, she avoids getting in the pan for fear it will happen again.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

Does all of that make sense or are there any other questions you may have?

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Still have more questions. My daughter and her 11 y/o son have had Mia for 2 1/2 weeks now. She still wants to stay in her room where her litter, food, water and bed are. She seems very timid, but will let them pet her and seems to want more, but after 1/2 hr of being upstairs with them and being petted, hissed at them and scratched my daughter and tried bite her, and returned to her bed. When they went down to her, she hissed at them. What now?