Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We adopted a stray cat for 2 years now but she started to…

Customer Question
Hi, we adopted a...

Hi, we adopted a stray cat for 2 years now but she started to come in last year in summer.. that was when her kittens went and she was very upset so we wanted to comfort her so we brought her inside and it was fine. We decided to take her to the vets and get her vaccinations but she didn’t like the idea of it. When she was indoors, we would let her out in half an hour but she wouldn’t settle with the garden door being shut. Then everything went back to normal but we had to take her to the vets again for her second vaccinations. But this time it was worse as there was a big dog and she got scared as the dog was barking. Ever since we took her to the vets for the second time, she refuses to come in and she doesn’t even come for food anymore but we think she might be having food somewhere else. She has a collar with our address and phone. Now last week it’s been snowing where I live and she went missing for a few days and she refused to come in. She does know her name but she just comes when she feels like it but we were worried because of the snow so we wanted her in.. but we couldn’t find her. We thought something had happened to her but my nan called and she came but very slowly with a massive cut on her back as if a cat had beaten her up and we know exactly which cat it is because it hasn’t been the first time. Before our cat used to always stay in our garden but ever since she has been ganging up on her.. she doesn’t come to us because she’s too scared.. but my nan told me today that she’s got a cut and didn’t want my nan to touch her. But we want her indoors and to let her know that she is safe and not trapped. We got her a hooded bed and some treats but she just wants to be out. But for her safety I want her in so please let me know what I should do. Should I just pick her up and bring her in? I don’t know please give me guidance. Kind regards Avneet

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the stray kitten bleeding a lot?

I haven’t seen her.. she lives with my nan

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the stray kitten?

Not really

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Please help me

Please email *******************

3/7/2018
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Do you have access to any live traps in your area?

Is she spayed now?

she’s spayed and I don’t have any traps

If she's unwilling to get close and no one can reach her, you're going to either need to purchase a humane trap or find one locally. Many shelters and rescues have them available for loan. If you must purchase a trap, I would recommend this one: http://www.trucatchtraps.com/small-animal-traps/30-ltd-light-duty though a plethora of other brands and options exist. Once she's in a trap, she should be safely moved to your vet's office for examination and treatment of the laceration. Depending on it's severity, it may require her to be sedated, the area clipped and cleaned and potentially surgically repaired. Since he's also likely that no one will be able to medicate her orally, an injectable antibiotic like Convenia can be used that lasts for 14 days.

From there, she can be moved inside but you're going to have to instill some tough love if you're to keep her inside against her will (even if it's safer for her). I would not, however, recommend just picking her up to bring her inside if she's showed any fearful or aggressive tendencies as you may be scratched or badly bitten.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your girl doing today?

I've spoken to the vet and she recommends me to bring her in and keep her indoors for a few weeks and see how she goes

Excellent. Let me know if you need further assistance over that time period.

I have a problem.. someone feeds her and I saw her yesterday. The lady has been feeding her for 4 months and she has other feral cats that are very timid and they just eat then they go. Our cat Sandie has become overweight and and is becoming like those cats where they just eat and then go. And she's stopped coming to our garden. I saw the portions that the lady was giving and it was too much. We found out 2 days ago that she feeds her as she saw the collar. She has become very distant and is becoming like those feral cats which I don't want to happen. I just want the lady to stop feeding her so that she can come to us and we can start keeping her indoors.

With her being outdoors, you cannot control what other people are offering her to eat. You're going to need to work on trapping her, which I discussed above. You can learn more about trapping protocols here: http://animalhumanenm.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Feral-Cat-Trapping-Protocol.pdf It is because she is becoming more distant and independent than I am recommending going the trapping route. You can also discuss this with the person who is feeding, to try to coordinate dates so that your girl is hungry when you're trapping, but I expect that the person will be unwilling to simply stop feeding as everyone else is going to go hungry, as well.

We have already spend a fortune on her and I’m not willing to purchase anything else.. I just want her to be an indoor cat and not eating from that lady’s house
It’s really frustrating that someone else is feeding our cat and because of that.. she doesn’t come into our garden even if we call her. I’m really annoyed

Start with talking to the woman, then, and see if you can have her hold off on feeding for a 24 hour period so that your cat will come around. If this doesn't help, contact local shelters and rescues to see if they will loan out a trap. Unfortunately, she's an outdoor cat and this person is of their own free will. If they wish to feed outdoor cats, there's little you can do to stop them.

I’ll have a little word

Keep me posted on your progress. Good luck!