Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Constipation. It's been a stressful week and I am wondering…

Constipation. It's been a...

Constipation. It's been a stressful week and I am wondering if mold could be affecting my cat as well. He (moving, being in a moving car, people yelling, etc.) has stress when we move and my roommate has taken to us leaving the house while its being shown (he is in the process of selling his home). We have been staying in the car ( it's winter, cold outside so I bring his things to keep him more comfortable and the car is on to stay warm, he dislikes a car being on) and we have been staying at a friends this week who just moved. I am hyper sensitive to mold (from living in a flooded basement home in 2008) and I have had severe allergies since staying here. Could this be affecting my cat as well? It

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Chewbacca, 8 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Chewbacca?

Last Thursday he had a large bowel movement ( 2 days constipated) and he has not had a bowel movement since. I have never known him to go this long, ever. He is eating, drinking normally (last Thursday we came to new space and I forgot to [place water down for him for 24 hours, he usually eats wet food. After the bowel movement on Thursday and him being so stressed I gave him chicken instead of his wet food.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's been 6 days since his last bowel movement. He is in good spirits, walking outside each day, alert, playing, drinking water, eating his meals still although not as much at one time. He's been sleeping a lot more than usual as well. I had thought that was due to the stress.
3/7/2018
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your concerns today.

It definitely sounds like everyone is having a very stressful week. 6 days is pretty long not to have a BM, but if he is eating & drinking fairly normally, then he should go soon. You can mix 1/4 teaspoon of Miralax into his wet food twice a day for a few days this should definitely get things moving. The more fluids you give him, the better off he will be, too. Plenty of wet food, chicken broth, tuna water should be offered along with fresh water. If you are settled into a new space, you might buy a Feliway diffuser & plug it into the room where Chewbacca spends most of his time. This produces a calming pheromone that will hopefully decrease stress. It can take several weeks to months for a cat to feel completely safe in a new place. Watch for any signs of illness as stress can certainly exacerbate this as well.

I ho0pe this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know it sounds odd, yet when we were having our mold situation in 2008 my eldest son had a terrible time. He even said that his appetite decreased and he felt like the food he ate just sat there in his stomach, not digesting properly.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Dr. Linda, deeply appreciated. I will follow your advice on offering him extra fluids to assist him with a BM.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, is there a natural alternative to Miralax?

Mold can affect all of us, including pet, & can be very serious. Being in a well ventilated, clean & dry environment are all that is usually needed to start feeling better. Medications are rarely required for pets. I hope your son is doing well now.

Miralax is an extremely safe product that is also very efficient at moving the bowels. The only natural products are pumpkin & psyllium, but they do not work as well as the Miralax.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a friend that was on Miralax and said it did not work for her constipation and it built up in her intestinal walls. She was on Miralax long term. This is the reason I ask about a natural alternative. I have in the past used slippery elm to assist Chewbacca with bowel movements (they were not 6 days, only 2 -3 days max).Thank you for asking about my son. He has come to a place of great awareness of mold exposure long term effects within his own body and to trust that response to care for his health. To this day he is like the canary in the coal mine with mold; people who do not realize they have mold have been alternated to a mold issue with my son's severe allergic response to mold. It took time to reveal where the mold was the issue or before the mold was found, that there even was a real mold issue, people seriously doubted him yet he said that his specific allergenic response to mold was spot on, no doubt in his mind it was mold.

Most resources I am familiar with report using slippery elm for diarrhea, not constipation. And for what I know about using Miralax in people, per my own doctor, it should not be used for more than a week at a time. If constipation is not resolved in 7 days or less, something else needs to be tried. Most gastrointestinal specialists will use the Miralax in cats first before turning to something stronger like Lactulose or even enemas.

Mold problems are a real dilemma in many households, especially since it can be hidden behind drywall & under tile. My brother in law is one of the foremost specialist about mold problems in the US. He teaches, lectures & testifies in court all over the world when it comes to this problem & he often has some pretty terrifying stories to tell.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow, your brother in law is a much needed "resource" and teacher for people here in the US. Yes, terrifying, been there, twice and the rental agency knew about the issue and we were coming FROM our home which had sever mold issues which we had JUST resolved (severe flooding that year had many homeowners dealing with this as well, house sold due to non related mold issues in 2009).I had been given to use the slippery elm for colon issue with Chewbacca (2 years ago during a move, have not used it since with his constipation and yes, it stated clearly it was a very limited time frame for usage). Chewy has constipation but it would first produce a diarrhea like situation for 1-5 hours and then he would have the BM.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr. Linda, I took Chewy for a hike, get him some exercise and on the way back home I picked up powered Miralax. Honestly, I opened the package with the intent of putting the 1'4 tsp in tuna juice. It just did not set well with me, feeling rather uneasy I went to look up the ingredient, Polyethylene glycol (PEG,) made from ethylene glycol (ethane-1,2-diol), the main ingredient in antifreeze. Uh, that is poisonous to cats, yes? I looked up the use of Miralax and began finding stories that justified my rather uneasy feeling, especially in children, truly horrific. There's nothing in my being that feels good about choosing to use Miralax OUTSIDE of him having a BM. I want Chewy to have a BM, not to poison him or have adverse reactions of any sort. I am looking into stress reducing Bach Flower Essences (Rescue Remedy), Probiotics for his intestinal tract, I have seen other people talk about using other things...still looking into those however.

Please do not read silly things online. Miralax is indeed PEG, which IS NOT antifreeze. This same myth has been around for years affecting other products like Febreeze.

Ethylene glycol, which is antifreeze, is toxic to ALL mammals, including people. For my last colonoscopy, I drank a gallon of PEG. PEG is used in millions of food products, both for humans & animals. PEG can not, nor will it ever convert into ethylene glycol.

So, I am sorry that I could not help you, but I hope I was able to educate you on some things.

Take care.

Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian