Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I woke up this am to find my 4 -5 month old kitty acting…

I woke up this...

I woke up this am to find my 4 -5 month old kitty acting very strange. She had strange meow and she has trouble keeping her balance and her head shakes a little and her eyes are all glossy and squitning. Doesnt look like she has peed since yesterday but she purrs and she attempted to eat food.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the kitten's name?

Annie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Annie?

Yesterday she was her normal rambunctious self and today she is slow and not her self

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Can you share video of what you're seeing?

I can't share a video but I was just home checking on her. She seemed a tad better. She ate and drank but she's still making a weird meow and being lethargic like. Shakes a little and eyes kind of glossy like

Any potential she might have consumed toxins or human medication?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is she actually eating or just attempting to eat?

Garbage all taken out last night and nothing for her to get into. We checked around in case. No vomiting or diarrhea. She's actually eating .
I mean there hasn't been a single morning where she hasn't been a crazy kitten and eating my feet and such and today nothing. Walks slow and meows. Back legs shake a bit. Looks at me with squinting eyes a lot

It sounds like she's surely not feeling well. Without a video, I'm left to speculate what might be wrong. I do think that this is warranting of a vet visit. Your vet is likely going to want to run bloodwork and potentially x-rays to determine the cause of her not feeling well. Squinting eyes is often a sign of pain. If she's not spayed yet, the potential of an infected uterus would be present, too. Your vet will also want to check her for transmissible illnesses like feline leukemia and feline aids. They will likely, also, try a course of antibiotics and a few days of pain medication. If her appetite reduces at any point, they might also prescribe a course of appetite stimulation medication, as well. If you're able, I could obtain a video so that your vet can see exactly what you're seeing at home. Seeing what someone else has witnessed, above all else, is the most useful thing an owner can share.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you.