Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Rodent ulcer. No heal from Pred and abx. Tried colloidal…

Rodent ulcer. No heal...

Rodent ulcer. No heal from Pred and abx. Tried colloidal silver-made her itch. Redness spreading to Lower lip.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the cat?

I sent u the problem

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

She has a RODENT ULCER

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No heal from Pred and Abx

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is the cat eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the cat having trouble peeing or pooing?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is the cat behaving differently?

Itching And scratching constantly

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

Priscilla age 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Priscilla?

She got quite heavy from the Prednisone

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When taken off the Pred, the redness And ulceration of upper lip worsened. Now spread to lower lip, but that redness possibly from constant itching and scratching.
3/7/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Priscilla has been treated chronically for a rodent ulcer. It does not respond to prednisone or antibiotics. Is that a correct summary of the situation? Can you also please confirm for me if prednisone is the form of steroid being used and not prednisolone?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s Prednisolone.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s Prednisolone. Your summary is correct
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s Prednisolone. Your summary is correct.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I’m having difficulty with this app

Are you able to see my responses?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Only your first question about the Prednisolone
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Only your first question about the Prednisolone and thankyou?

I am going to type a response about how to treat these rodent ulcers. Please confirm that you received it so that I know. It will take 3-5 minutes

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Only your first question about the Prednisolone and thankyou? Did u get photo?

I did get the photo. It does seem to be consistent with a rodent ulcer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh okay good. I guess responses don’t show right away. Sorry. First time using this.

Rodent ulcers are caused by an auto immune type of reaction, so treatment is aimed at reducing immune stimulation and inhibiting the immune response as needed. For instance, treating with a hypoallergenic food is really important for treatment. This is a prescription food such as Hill's z/d or Royal Canin Hydrolyzed. Purina has a brand called HA that could work as well. This is only available through your veterinarian. The other important thing is to use a good flea prevention such as Revolution, because flea bites can stimulate this as well. The steroid should be given at a dose of 2 mg/kg for at least 1-2 months before beginning to taper down. Sometimes tapering too quickly will cause the ulcer to come back again quickly. Finally, trying to minimize simulation from plastics or fabrics is helpful. This would mean feeding out of a glass or ceramic bowl instead of a plastic one, not having any plastic toys, etc. This approach usually helps most cats. An injection of DepoMedrol, which is a longer acting steroid can help reduce these flare ups as well.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it be an allergy to fragrance in cat litter? Does she HAVE to be on the Pred? I also have her on L-Lysine, omegas. I will try that food, but can wait on restarting Pred?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could it be an allergy to fragrance in cat litter? Does she HAVE to be on the Pred? I also have her on L-Lysine, omegas. I will try that food, but can wait on restarting Pred? Any holistic tx??

The food is most important for long term maintenance. The prednisolone or the DepoMedrol shot would help to reduce the acute inflammation, so that would be recommended initially. The injection may be easier because that may allow you to get the food going and also reduce the current inflammation. The L-lysine and omegas are fine to continue. There is no holistic treatment that I can think of that would be helpful here other than the nutrition. Nothing that would be very helpful with application to the skin because the issue is caused by immune stimulation underneath the skin.

The fragrance in the house is possible, but it is not likely. The problem is usually caused by contact to the skin. Fragrance is mostly breathed, so if there is any issue it is likely to be a respiratory one (i.e. coughing, sneezing, etc.).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you SO much!!

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian