Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Oh Just looking for some info for my cat that has been

Oh hi! Just looking...

Oh hi! Just looking for some info for my cat that has been diagnosed with a murmur of 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?

He’s only 1 1/2 yrs old with no symptoms and was just caught at his annual

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

No hurt. No symptoms

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Laphroaig

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Laphroaig?

No very active healthy kitty

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Did you have him since he was a kitten?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HI yes since he was 2 months old. He was adopted
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have the most recent blood work for him

Okiay thanks for the additional information. So he is not showing any signs of coughing, exercise intolerance or anything like that? Usually my recommendation for a cat that I diagnose with a heart murmur is to do a cardiac work up. This involves x-rays of the chest and an ultrasound of the heart. The x-ray will be able to determine if the heart is enlarged and if there is any issues with the lungs. The ultrasound will be able to determine is the anatomy of the heart has changed at all and what is the possible cause of the murmur. If everything looks normal on these tests then the usual protocol is to monitor the heart closely over time to make sure it doesn't change.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He’s not showing any signs and I’m wondering if the resent blood work was not enough to determine the severity without having to spend so much on a cardiologist

The bloodwork can only show if the heart is causing any issues with the blood. It can't determine how severe or what is causing the heart murmur. Did the recent bloodwork have a value called CardioBNP?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where these the right tests in order to determine this?

I don't see that value on that particular test. The Cardio BNP determines if there is any muscle damage to the heart which could be a good indication that the heart disease is severe or not. You may need to request it specifically from your veterinarian

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see. Is this something that can be run from the previous blood work or will new blood work be needed? Should I just swallow the cost and get the cardiologist to do the test?

It depends on when the bloodwork was done. Usually most labs will hold the blood work for about 7 days. So if that is the case then you can ask your veterinarian to call the lab to run the tests. Otherwise you would need to have the blood collected again

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What would you do if it was you kitty?

If she was not showing any signs I would probably have the heart rechecked in about 6 months. If the murmur is still loud then I would either recommend doing the cardiac workup done just to make sure it is not something serious going on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok because I’ve gotten a stethoscope and I can hear it so it’s obvious even to me. I think I’ll ask them to run the test you suggested and take it from there

OKay if it is that obvious then I would agree to run the test. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
THANK you ���� he means everything to me after my fiancé passed away. I will rate you right away
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian