Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is spitting up. Its clear and a little foamy. She…

My cat is spitting...

My cat is spitting up. Its clear and a little foamy. She hasnt eaten nothing in about a day. Her name is ***** ***** she's 4 now. She is also going to bathroom, appears normal.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if Wiggles will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wiggles?

She did eat some treats the other night and she kept it down. Other than that shes been normal.

3/7/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I am sorry you are going through this with your cat. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with GI upset. Common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, ulcers, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home to pinpoint the exact underlying cause. I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Schmidt
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Took her to the vet. X-rays showed no foreign objects and nothing else. They gave her a shot for dehydration and some vitamins along with something for the naseau. Her appetite did not change and still not eating or drinking, but the spitting up has stopped. To her back and did bloodwork and that came back good as well, gave her another shot of what i mentioned up above. They gave her barium and were going back today.
Thank you for the update. Hopefully the barium moves through uneventfully.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The barium did do its job. No signs of anything serious. Her feces has now moved into her colon which was yesterday. She still isnt drinking any water which we took back to the vet fot the same shot. She did finally eat a palm full of cat food. But she still has pooped yet. Would a laxative help her out? Maybe one from petsmart or a similar store. If anything i will wait until tomorrow before i do that.

That's great! I am not surprised that she hasn't pooped yet, it will probably take a few days of her eating normally for that to happen. You can give Miralax 1/4 tsp on the food every 12 hours to be sure, but I'm not that surprised by that to be honest with you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the feedback. Any thoughts on why she hasnt started drinking water on her own yet

I'm not sure. I would try mixing in low sodium chicken broth or tuna juice into her food to see if that helps increase her water content while everything returns to normal.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just thought of this. Could it be shes not drinking water because if the shot she received, it was for hydration and vitamins. I will also try what you recommened

Yes, that could be it too for sure. I'm sure with the barium moving through things will go back to normal over the course of this next week.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your assistance. I and Wiggles really appreciate it!!

You're welcome, I'm glad to hear things are going better for him. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Cat Veterinarian