Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

His nose has a lot of dry and is peeling. He is also

His nose has a...

His nose has a lot of dry snot and is peeling. He is also sneezing a lot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Walter age 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Walter?

In the fall he came down with a wheezing fit and was having trouble getting air. He was at the emergency vet for days and had to be force fed for two weeks, since then he's improved but still has this nose issue

3/7/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Walter. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is the most common cause of sneezing and can also cause focal, alopecic, and erosive lesions on the nose which can extend across the entire face in some cats. Can you upload a photo(s) of Walter's nose to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you for the pic. That's a typical spot for FHV-1 cutaneous lesions. In most cases FHV-1 goes into remission within a few weeks. If not, the systemic antiviral drug famciclovir can be considered. Instilling saline nasal drops (available over the counter) into his upturned nostrils can be helpful in clearing the "build up". Cats aren't thrilled to have anything instilled in their nostrils but systemic decongestants aren't well-tolerated by them. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

just to be clear we can use the nose spray to help and hopefully the fhv-1 will go into remission in a few weeks. If not or if it gets worse then a trip to the vet would be in order? .... Walter is a terror at the vet and was effectively banned so we try to bring him only when absolutely necessary

"Yes" on all accounts. I understand your logistical constraints, however. If need be, perhaps you can show the same photo you've shown me to Walter's vet who may agree to prescribe famciclovir without Walter having to come to the vet.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thank you for your help!

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?