Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat acts like she is starving but won’t eat anything I…

Customer Question
My cat acts like...

My cat acts like she is starving but won’t eat anything I buy her. I have 5 choices of food right now but she eats very little. Just cries like she is starving

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Zoe and she is 16

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Zoe?

She throws up a lot when she does eat has long hair and gets hairballs

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/7/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Cat Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, hopefully I can be of some help.

Can you tell me, has Zoe lost weight? Is there any change to her drinking or urination? Any change to her activity level? Has any bloodwork been checked on her with your local veterinarian recently?

Write me back and I will respond as soon as I am able to, to continue the conversation, thanks! - Dr. Peck.

She is a thin cat and I can’t tell if she has lost weight but I would guess so because she doesn’t eat. No changes drinking or peeing She is sleeping less because she is always up looking for something to eat
No blood work

At 16 years old there are several things to consider. When weight loss occurs at this age is may be due to chronic kidney disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, cancer, or other cause. Nausea / poor appetite may occur with these different disease processes. The fact that she acts like she is starving but then doesn't eat makes me wonder if she potential has some significant dental disease present causing oral pain - animals exhibit this in this way sometimes as in they are hungry but it hurts to eat so they then decide not to eat. Another similar possibility is that they are hungry but when they smell the food they become nauseous.

At 16 years old, I would suggest a routine physical examination, and some routine senior labwork, which should include a blood cell count, a serum chemistry panel, an electrolyte check, thyroid values, and a urinalysis. Most vets offer a package of this type of labwork for senior cats at variable cost depending on location etc. I would start with these two things and then decide where to go from there based on findings. For example, normal bloodwork with significant dental disease on physical examination would indicate need to address the dental disease and possibly extract some teeth. Vs. low urine concentration and elevated kidney values on bloodwork would be consistent with chronic kidney disease which would have an entirely different set of recommendations.

Call your local vet when they are open next and ask about scheduling an examination with some senior labwork as above and they should be able to give you a price quote of around what to expect for that.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have additional comments or questions, write me back and I will reply as soon as I am able to.

Please at this time be sure to go ahead and rate kindly using the stars on your screen, this is how I receive credit for taking the time to respond to your question this evening, thanks! - Dr. Peck.

She eats her hard treats fine so I don’t think dental is an issue