Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Loosing fur around tail, hind legs and up the back now. It…

Loosing fur around tail...

Loosing fur around tail, hind legs and up the back now. It happend before, but after a while the fur came back. I added Brewers Yest to the diet and I saw her eating rats. These are outdoor cats.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the hind?

Loosing fur. Any supplements you can recommend?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the hind seem to hurt?

Nothing seems to hurt. They jump around and eat like normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the hind's name and age?

I’m talking about the cat’s hind legs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the hind?

Well, thanks for your time

3/7/2018
Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 12 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue and as I am typing out a response.

Sorry if the intake robot did not understand what you were saying. Are the cats on a flea preventative, like a topical medication you put behind the head on the skin? Do you see the cat licking or scratching at all? Does the skin look normal in the areas where the fur is thinning?

outside cats. No flea medicine, skin normal where fur is missing.Not seeing licking or scratching.
any suggestion for supplements?
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for Dr. Ann M. for you. Our dermatologists tell us to apply an over the counter flea spot-on such as Advantage or a fipronil-containing product such as Frontline or, preferably, one of the newer prescription products to which fleas are less likely to have become resistant to (an isoxasole parasiticide such as Bravecto), available from your vet even if fleas aren't seen when such a skin pattern of alopecia occurs. Cats can be such effective groomers so as to eliminate all evidence of flea infestation which is more common in outdoor cats. Indoor cats can contract fleas because we walk them in on us and flea eggs and larva can remain viable in your home for months. Turning on the heater or as the weather warms at this time of year then hatches the eggs. Flea saliva allergy is usually most evident on the saddle area – the area between the edge of the rib cage and tail. In severe cases, an anti-allergenic prescription corticosteroid such as prednisolone will work wonders for cats allergic to the saliva of the flea. Your other pets may not be allergic to the saliva of the flea. Fatty acid supplements containing both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids can help affected skin and haircoat return to health. You can find these supplements where cat supplies are sold. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.