Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Just got home and his eye looks weepy. Sorry, cat. He is a…

Customer Question
Just got home and...

Just got home and his eye looks weepy

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Sorry, cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes he is a cat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the cat?

His eye looks weepy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the cat seem to hurt?

Nowhere, his eye looks werpy weepy

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the cat's name and age?

Diesel, about 13-14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Diesel?

No,he is in excellent hedlth

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/6/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Cat Veterinarian

Hi! I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Diesel. I'm sorry his eye is bothering him. The most common thing to cause the sudden onset of a weepy eye in an otherwise healthy cat is an injury to the eye. Some are minor and go away without treatment. Some are more serious. I'm sorry he's going through this.

What is your question for me today, please?

What should I do?
Hello?

I just received your picture and am looking at it now. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for the picture. Since his eye just started looking like this today, it's most likely there has been an injury to the eye. I cannot, however, determine the extent of his injury from your photo. That requires a hands-on examination of the eye including the use of an ophthalmascope. A thorough eye exam for symptoms like this can also involve measuring tear production (Schirmer Tear Test) and staining to look for corneal damage (fluorescene dye test). In some cases, the eye looks suspicious for glaucoma, in which case it's also necessary to use a tonometer to measure pressures in the globe of the eye.

I apologize if that sounds really complicated, but it's important to clarify that a lot of different problems in the eye can look like this on the surface. The reality is that coming home to a weepy eye can indicate a variety of different things, some simple and some complicated.

With that in mind, the best answer for your question of what to do is the following:

• Try to soak the drainage and clean his face gently with a warm washcloth (if he'll allow it).
  • Flush his eye (if you are comfortable and able) liberally but gently with sterile saline or contact lens solution
  • Make an appointment to see the vet as quickly as possible to find out why this happened and determine the best plan for treatment.

Here are a couple of videos that demonstrate eye flushing and cleaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNCfW51e-Mg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDGzdUTUdNI

I do hope this information is helpful. I know you want to do all you can to help Diesel. If you have additional questions to follow up after reading this, please let me know.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Oh! One more thing I wanted to share with you. Here is a link to an article explaining the basics of diagnosing and treating corneal injuries in cats.

https://www.petplace.com/article/cats/pet-health/corneal-laceration-in-cats/

Does that answer your question at this point in time?

Just checking in to ask how Diesel is doing today. Is his eye looking any better?

Thank you,

Dr. Jo

A little bit, thank you. You were very thorough.

Oh, good! I'm so glad it's looking better. As long as it isn't looking worse, you may be able to avoid a trip to the vet.

If there isn't anything else I can help you with for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for your kind words, and for using our website.