Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We are going on a 600 mile trip in May and because we have…

Second opinion] We are...

Second opinion] We are going on a 600 mile trip in May and because we have no one to care for our two cats while we are gone, we want to take them with us. We will be towing a camper and driving my husband's pick up truck. Our kitties hate riding in any vehicle. One of them meows constantly and the other one shakes uncontrollably. They are both very large cats - one is 15 lbs and the other one is 17 lbs. They are both 10 years old. I have tried the over the counter calming treats, but they help very little. Can you suggest something or some way to sedate or calm my poor kitties for this ordeal? I would appreciate it very much!!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Our boy is named Snowsy and our girl is named Isabella.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Snowsy?

Snowsy is starting to have kidney problems. He is on a special prescription food.

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2018
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).

***************

The medication I recommend for cats that are anxious of car travel is a medication called gabapentin. Both cats should get a 50mg dose a day before the travel and then a second 50mg dose approx 2 hours before departure. This will help them greatly. This product is only available as prescription from your vet - I cannot provide prescriptions online.

The other thing that can assist them is a spray called Feliway. You spray all their bedding and carriers at least one day before you leave.

Also getting them used to the crate before travel can help. Place the crates in the living area a month before you leave and just start feeding the cats near it. Over time move the food to inside the crates and they will soon use the crate as a safe place.

**************************
Your satisfaction is my goal and I welcome any follow-up questions that you may have. Your 5-star rating at the conclusion of this correspondence is most appreciated and bonuses are always welcome. Regards, ***** *****

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you recommending that both cats stay in their carriers for the full 10 hour trip because they will feel safer that way?

Yes I think that would be best. Unless you are stopping and staying somewhere e.g. a hotel room, where you could let them out.

You will need to make sure there is plenty of bedding and newspaper in case they go to the toilet.

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Cat Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Cat Veterinarian