Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I'm getting black gunk from both my cats ears for weeks. I'm…

Customer Question
I'm getting black gunk from...
I'm getting black gunk from both my cats ears for weeks. I'm cleaning daily with Q-tips and Hartz Ultra Guard Ear Mite Treatment. Today I saw a touch of blood on the Q-tip
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
3/6/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 1 month ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 18 years of experience.

Generally, when you get that much debris it indicates there is an infection in the ears. AT their ages ear mites is highly unlikely. It is most likely an actual bacterial or yeast infection, sometimes due to an underlying food allergy (allergy to a protein in the foods). There are not any easy over-the-counter treatments for this. It is something you probably need to have the cats examined by your vet and get prescription medication to clear.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you give me a prescription

I am not able to do this. To provide a prescription requires that a cat actually be examined. This is not something we can do online. I am sorry about this. I know how difficult it can be to get cats in to be seen. If they are tough to travel with you could look into a mobile veterinarian who comes to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you give me a prescription
thank you

None of us online are able to do the prescription for you.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian