Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 2 female cats got along until I had one of them spayed.

My 2 female cats...

My 2 female cats got along until I had one of them spayed. Now the other one is terrified of her (Scarlet). Hazel lives under our bed and only comes out to drink water. She is also not leaving the room to use the litter box. How can I "fix" this problem?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

The cat that is afraid is Hazel 3.5 years old. Scarlet the one I had fixed is 2.5 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Hazel

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hazel?

No I think that is the only issue.

3/6/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation with your girl's. How long ago was Hazel spayed? How long were they together prior to this spay?

Hazel was spayed before I rescued them together about 10 months ago. Scarlet was spayed on 1/15/18. They have been together since they were kittens.

So they haven't been getting along now for almost 2 months?

Correct. When they see each other Hazel hisses and retreats under our bed. Hazel seems terrified and I constantly on the watch for Scarlett. Hazel is not afraid of our four dogs or my husband and I; just Scarlett.

Ok. In a situation like this, time and continued desensitization is most likely the best for this. As far as a specific product that has a good chance of helping, there is a feline specific calming pheromone product called Feliway. It can be used as a plug in diffuser that lasts about a month at a time for each insert. You could get this and plug it into the outlet in that room she's in to help relieve some stress / anxiety for her. It does help a lot with a lot of cats. Here is a link on it.

www.feliway.com

I would also look for other noises, stressors in the environment that may be keeping her at a little unease and try to limit those. Then, continuing to support her and give her attention. I would try to get continue to build up her confidence. More than likely with more time, the relationship will continue to improve. To what level? That is something that she will determine.

Thank you, ***** ***** try the Feliway and hope for the best. Hazel is a sweet girl and loved to look out the windows in other parts of the house. So I know she would be happier if she would leave the room and enjoy looking at the outside world again.

Try the Feliway diffuser and keep encouraging her and trying to help her get her comfort back. Time and encouragement can help.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?