Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

1 1/2 yr old male who catches but doesn't eat mice and moles…

1 1/2 yr old...

1 1/2 yr old male who catches but doesn't eat mice and moles hasn't eaten for 2 days and barely sips water. He's alert but sleeps all the time and walks likes he's weak or in pain. Likes his massages seems to like backside and belly rubbed more. He keeps his back end up

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Gabriel.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gabriel?

I keep him up to date on shots and anal care( draining). He wears a good tick and flea collar. In and out at night , I hand feed him fancy feast he eats lots of temptations treats.

3/5/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Gabriel has not eaten for 2 days and is not drinking well either. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. One of the most important things we worry about when a cat is not eating or drinking well is dehydration. This would constitute an emergency, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status. There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration.The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Let me know what you find.

If you feel you can not do it without overly stressing Gabriel, then do not worry about it and let me know. We can move on without that information. It is just that the information you find will be helpful.

He is going to vet in morning. I am praying and needed assurance he's not dying. Will he make it to the vet?

Based on the information you provided, I think he should be able to make it to the veterinarian in the morning. Were you able to perform the hydration test I talked about?

Just checking in. Does that help to answer your question?

No I couldn't do hydration test without stressing him. Thank you for your advice. I was worried you would tell me something bad. Sorry I type slow. Computer down Using tablet. I'm not very fast.
Thank you. Goodbye

You are most welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm here to help. You have no the questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian