Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

3 to 4 weeks ago our 18 month old cat started vomiting for…

3 to 4 weeks...

3 to 4 weeks ago our 18 month old cat started vomiting for about 36 hrs. Just stopped and things returned to normal. Now since 1.5 weeks ago she has pretty much stopped eating and had diarrhea . 1st vet appt got a shot for nausea and special food. Ate a little for 24 hrs. 2nd appt had a fever plus did blood work. Nothing unusual. Given another shot for nausea and antibotics. Again ate very little or drank ver little. Brought her in again for ex rays. Again nothing except for gas in stomach. Was given a DepoMedrol injection. Still giving her clavamox tablets and added metronidazole tabs. Seemed to be getting better for a day and again no interest in food. We are at a lost. So is our vet. Don't want to spend more $ for no answers. Any suggestions

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Remi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Remi?

She is up to date on all vaccinations Had a parasite test done. And they did also give her panacea for worms but doubted she had them. All tests are coming out with nothing wrong

3/4/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Please give me a few moments to review the information you have submitted.

I'm so sorry to hear that Remi has not been feeling well and you still don't have answers. In a young cat that vomited as continuously as she has, whose blood work is normal, a foreign body lodged in the GI tract is a possibility. I'm glad she had x-rays done, because that is the first step to diagnosing a GI obstruction. However, sometimes it is not obvious from x-rays that there is something lodged in the GI tract if it is only a partial obstruction. This could be why you see some improvement but her signs come back due to the foreign body still being there. At this point, since you have done so many tests that have come out normal, I recommend having an abdominal ultrasound done. It is not a cheap test - a few hundreds of dollars - but could give you a definitive answer about what is going, and probably save you money in the long run. An ultrasound would also rule out things like tumors, irritable bowel disease, and pancreatitis, all of which can cause the signs Remi is having.

They did take X-rays to ck for that. If we do get an ultra sound and it is an obstruction what can be done to take care of that ?

She will likely have to have surgery to remove whatever is causing the obstruction.

Okay thank you. We obviously have to make some calls and decisions.

You're welcome. If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating. Thank you, ***** ***** a great day!

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian