Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My 9 month old was acting really sleepy the day after he was…

My 9 month old...

My 9 month old was acting really sleepy the day after he was off Doxycycline. Over the past week he's been eating less and less and doesn't want to drink. He poops fine and threw up once. The vet said his intentions were a bit swollen and said he has the dry form of FIP, but he doesn't have a fever at all. I've been trying to make him eat and drink water, but lately he's been actively rejecting water. He's still purring anytime I'm near him, but he's still sleepy and not eating very much even after being put on Peridnosolone. I think I saw him go in the litter box this morning and not do anything.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

He tested negative for leukemia. He had blood work that showed some liver enzymes, not sure which. I got home and he did pee, so that's not an issue. Just not eating much and sleeping all day

3/2/2018
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I don't think the lethargy is related to the Doxy. If he has dry FIP, then that would likely cause the decreased appetite and lethargy.

This is a tough diagnosis to make. We usually diagnose it based on the age (young cat), signs (fever, lethargy, poor weight gain, weight loss, GI signs) and we can see an elevated globulin count on the bloodwork. That globulin count is what really keys me in on an FIP cat.

Sadly, there is no effective treatment for FIP in cats. We typically use steroids and supportive care. Most are euthanized or die within a month or two of signs starting. There is a study going on at Kansas State that is showing some promise, so that may be an option to try to sign him up. Otherwise, it's a terrible disease that we just don't have an answer to at this point.

Here is more info on the condition:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=681

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you Doctor,I'm not sure if it was globulin they saw in the blood work, they just said enzymes related to the liver and enflamed intestines on his ultrasound. He was on Omeprazole for a couple days and showed vast improvement. It wasn't until they put him on the prednisolone that he started acting tired again. He doesn't have a fever at all though. His temp stays between 100-101° F. Is there anything else I can test him for to rule out FIP? Some parasite or other liver condition?

Thanks for the info. If you get ahold of the bloodwork, please post it and I can give you my thoughts.

If it seems like the liver is affected, then a liver biopsy is the best way to get a diagnosis. This can be done via ultrasound guidance. A bile acids test is usually done first as that checks actual liver function and helps to rule out liver shunts.

I don't think it's a parasite. That doesn't really fit here.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gary,I took him to a cat only hospital where they ran more tests that the shelter didn't do and sadly also think it's FIP. They did note that his globulins (spelling?), liver proteins and swelling did go down. He's been eating/drinking a bit more and been slightly more active on Omprenoloze. He didn't react very well to being on Prednasolone, so I've been keeping him off that. The vet says they want to run a stool sample test as well just to rule out more things. Just working on supportive care and keeping him a happy boy. Thank you very much for following up.Kristy

I'm sorry to hear that they are also thinking FIP.

I would just continue to spoil him and let him live out his life- as long as he has. I'm glad he's showing some improvement and he's eating.

Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian