Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Oh I'm cat sitting my daughters cat who had dental

Oh hi ! I'm...

Oh hi ! I'm cat sitting my daughters cat who had dental extractions about a week ago and when i went to feed him tonight he has just licked the jelly off the soft food for three pouches worth and left the lumps :( He looked well enough just hungry...should i try some human turkey and vegetable baby food i bought or is there a special soft jelly food i can give ,ps I'm in UK I would appreciate an answer if you have time?? Cathy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

G and he is about 4

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/27/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great

Thank you for your question about your daughter's little one. Here a week out, the discomfort from the surgical extractions should be resolved. Some can have some irritation in the mouth if sutures or a sore is still at the extraction site. I would honestly keep with his regular food. It is something that he's used too and it should be something he'll eat when he really wants too. Changing foods can cause some diarrhea or vomiting. I wouldn't be overly alarmed with this. He may not be eating as much as your daughter is away and his normal routines are off too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thanks;
happy with text

Sorry about the phone call prompt as that was the system and not myself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No problem Thank you that is reassuring. Can they go a few days without eating much .I estimate he has had6 tablespoons of jelly today and some water?

As long as he's eating some, not vomiting, and acting normal otherwise, I wouldn't be overly worried over the next few days. Some can make themselves really sick if they don't eat at all for 4-5 days. He's eating some though so I would hope that with time that he'll be back to eating well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Dr Bruce Happy with that! Best wishes Cathy

Take care and give G a good ear scratching when you see him next for me since I can't!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hi Thanks Dr Bruce.I have seen the answer and responded to the feedbacks already Best wishes Cathy

I'm hoping G has been doing well. Is he eating better now?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian