Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I just adopted a 1 yr old cat from the animal shelter. He…

Hello! I just adopted...

Hello! I just adopted a 1 yr old cat from the animal shelter. He has been sneezing since I brought him home and now he is drooling. Appetite is normal, not sure what I should do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the cat's name?

Marshall

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Marshall?

As far as I know he was neutered and given his vaccines within the last two weeks. I don't know much about the cat

2/26/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Marshall and congratulations, by the way, for adopting him from the shelter.

Please give me time to type back a response about his behavior.

Thanks for your patience, Deb

Thank you

It sounds as if may be suffering from an upper respiratory infection (URI) or the cat flu which is a fairly commonly seen problem for cats in shelter situations. This condition is somewhat similar to a cold in humans in that it is usually secondary to a virus with Herpes or Calici being the two most common causes of this condition in a cat.

Secondary bacterial infections can develop (the nasal discharge when he sneezes can be green or yellowish in color) and when this happens, antibiotics are usually dispensed.

These episodes typically last anywhere from 10-14 days just to give you an idea of the timeline.

At home treatment options include:

1. Use warm water to clean the nose of any discharge that builds up.

2. Nasal decongestant drops may be helpful although many cats don’t like them very much as you can imagine. The medicated ones (a-c below) should only be used for three days in a row, with one drop in each nostril; otherwise what’s known as a rebound effect may occur. This is one reason why I prefer"d".

a. Pediatric otrivin (0.05% xylometazoline)

b. “Little Noses" Decongestant Nose Drops with phenylephrine hydrochloride
c. Oxymetazoline which is the primary ingredient in Afrin or Zicam

d. "Little Noses" Saline Spray/Drops non medicated which can be used more than three days in a row.

3. You can place him in a bathroom with hot water running so that the steam can loosen up secretions although this is somewhat wasteful of water. An alternative would be to run a humidifier or boil water on your stove to moisten the air.

4. Probiotics such as Forti Flora have been shown to help many of these cats with URI's; probiotics aren’t just useful for gastrointestinal issues. This particular product is available as a powder which is sprinkled on the food everyday and can be purchased at many pet/grain stores or online.

If you haven't already done so, I would contact the shelter from where you adopted him; they may be able to dispense antibiotics for him or they may have a vet who can check him over at no charge to you (although not all shelters provide this sort of service). Regardless, as long as he's eating and active, then I might treat him as I've outlined above and see if he improves over the next few days. If not, then I'd have him seen.

I hope this helps. Deb

Thank you very much! He doesn't have any nasal discharge as of this point in time, just mainly sneezing and the drool. I will try all my options and call the vet if need be. Thanks again

You're most welcome.

Good luck with him. Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian