Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has occasional epilepsy. She is ok for months and…

My cat has occasional...

My cat has occasional epilepsy. She is ok for months and then has real bad seisures, sometimes for days, then ok again. what can we do to help with this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Shiloh, female age 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shiloh?

No, otherwise very healthy

2/26/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I'm sorry to hear that Shiloh has been having seizures. I would ask your vet about starting an anti-seizure medication called phenobarbital. Your vet will also want you to keep a log of date of seizures, how long it lasts, and what specifically your cat does while she has one. You should also have some lab work done to screen for any problems related to old age, including kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease, hyperthyroidism, and some others. Before starting the phenobarbital, your vet will want to make sure Shiloh's liver values are normal. Once she starts the medication she should have her liver values rechecked periodically.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Dr. Rachel. I will get her in right away. I really love her and want to give her every possible chance. Just a real sweet kitty.

You're very welcome! I hope her seizures respond to the medication and that she has many more years with you.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian