Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Thank you. he was recently diagnosed with diabetes. Old Man,

Hi, thank you. he...

Hi, thank you. he was recently diagnosed with diabetes.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the cat's name and age?

Old Man, he's 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Old Man

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Old?

He has asthma, which is ok now. His blood sugar level was 600. Any suggestions?

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/24/2018
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Was Old man placed on any medications?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, no problem. Yes he was placed on insulin, twice a day, and also antibiotics for his URI. He's had a URI that hasn't gone away, excessive drinking, and he was recently diagnosed. I'm new to all of this. He lost 7 pounds since November so I want to make sure I do the best for him. He is 9 years old approximately.

Okay thanks for the additional information. Was he placed on a special diet as well? Diabetes can be challenging in some cats but if he is taking the insulin shots well then he should be fine. Usually it can take about a week or too for him to adjust to the insulin and typically your veterinarian will check his blood glucose over time to see how he is responding to the insulin. Once he is starting to respond to the insulin you will see that he will start to gain weight.

Are you still there?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He has elevated kidney levels but only one test was elevated and he thinks that's due to dehydration from diabetes. Same for liver enzymes and white blood cell counts. He was 19 pounds and now weighs 12 pounds. He is eating and drinking normally. And I am here sorry about that. Can they live a fairly normal life? I get scared because my mom's cat had diabetes, was treated, but passed away from stroke complications.

Yes cats with diabetes can live a normal life once they are regulated. How long it takes for them to get regulated can vary from cat to cat. It is not common but some cats can develop an insulin resistance which can lead to some challenges but most cats do fine long term with insulin.

Hello

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm just new at all of this, I want to make sure I do everything correctly. I lifted his skin in the middle and inserted the injection directly in the middle as vet injected. He made a meow, maybe he wasn't used to the needle. But hopefully it helps. Sorry if you answered this already but when should I start seeing him get better? I am also going to try and give him his antibiotics via liquid. He doesn't do good with pills, he can be vicious, so hopefully the liquid is easier. Any suggestions?

No problem. Yes he may not be used to the needle as of yet but he will eventually get used to it. How long has he been on insulin for? It can take a couple of weeks for him to get better but sometimes it can take longer because there may need to be adjustments made to the insulin dose based on bloodwork As far as the antibiotics is concerned you can ask your veterinarian about the Convenia injection. This is an injection that your veterinarian can give which last for 2 weeks so you don't have to worry about giving any medications by mouth. I often give this to cats who are difficult to medicate.

hello

Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Alleyne
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi he was breathing heavy last night but seems to be doing better today. Seems he has good days and bad.
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian