Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a senior cat. She has some medical issues that are…

I have a senior cat...
I have a senior cat. She has some medical issues that are being managed by the vet. When she stops or slows down in her eating, she has been given the appetite enhancer (metazapine). It no longer works. Are there other ideas (natural or prescription) that will stimulate her appetite?
2/24/2018
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I'm sorry about your cat. I'm working on a response and will be back shortly.
Hello, I am dr. Nicole and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am really sorry to hear about your cat. I'm working on a response and will be back shortly.
Sorry about that I don't know why it posted it twice!
the two most common appetite stimulants for cats are Mirtazapine and Ciproheptadine. If those are not working then there is a new one on the market called entyce. It is definitely worth a try and you usually have to get it through your veterinarian. Other things to try would be adding tuna juice to the food or warming it up slightly to see if that will help encourage eating. There's also an acupuncture pressure pointpoint located on the top of the nose, right at the midline where the haired and unhaired tissues meet is also worth a try.
This might sound a little crazy but Purina makes a probiotic called fortiflora. It is not an appetite stimulant but I know a lot of cats that really loved it and when you add it to the food they excited to eat it. It is definitely worth a try and is great for digestion.
There are some other natural products if you Google appetite stimulants for cats, however those are a little less predictable and reliable.
I cannot use tuna juice, because she has a thyroid issue. Are there are other juices available? When I have given her some food in gravy, she has slurped it up. However, there is not enough of the gravy. Are there any products out there where I can get this liquid food or how I would go about making it myself? If I use the fortiflora, how do I use it? One suggestion I had been given, is to sprinkle with garlic salt, do you agree? Also, with a previous Tuxedo cat, who had mouth cancer, the dr. used Prednisone to stimulate his appetite. It worked only temporarily. What's your input on that?
Having some computer problems, did you receive my last questions?
That's okay I was having some problems on my end too working on a response....
The fortiflora is just a powder and you just add one packet to the food once a day or you can divide it into two. I don't think I understood your question about the liquid food. Certainly you have the option of trying to puree her food and see if she will eat it better. I personally have not used garlic salt for cats and don't know that I would recommend doing that as many of these cats with thyroid or kidney disease have higher blood pressure so I probably would recommend staying away from that. I feel the same way about the prednisone. I have used it in so many cats as a last resort option if it's a matter of quality of life and they are absolutely not eating but if they are otherwise stable and it's really just to get them to eat more than I try to exhaust everything else first before implementing pred. Again because so many cats with thyroid disease have concurrent kidney issues or will develop kidney issues. So I tend to stay away from the steroids as long as I can.
That's what makes these conversations a little more difficult as I'm not able to examine your pet or have her full blood work available to review. You should look into whether or not your vet has the entyce available.
I was just wondering if you ever got the information that I sent to you? Do you have any additional questions or concerns?
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
I had to put my kitty to sleep.
I am so very sorry. My thoughts are with you. Thank you for letting me know. Take care.