Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

The vet says that it looks like lung cancer. I want to give…

Hi there: the vet...

Hi there: the vet says that it looks like lung cancer. I want to give CBD oil a try. she weighs about 9.5 lbs. how often do I give her it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name and age?

Smokey,12 years old

2/21/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Smokey. Current recommendations for oral dosing of CBD in dogs are 0.02 - 0.1 mg/kg (0.01 - 0.05 mg/lb) given twice daily. For pain managment, most dogs do well at 0.025 mg/lb twice daily which would be equivalent to 0.25 mg twice daily for Smokey. If you need help figuring the volume of CBD oil to give her, please tell me the concentration of your product in mg/mL.

I don't see the answer to my question here

Here's what I posted at 1:39 PM (my time): "I'm sorry to hear of this with Smokey. Current recommendations for oral dosing of CBD in dogs are 0.02 - 0.1 mg/kg (0.01 - 0.05 mg/lb) given twice daily. For pain managment, most dogs do well at 0.025 mg/lb twice daily which would be equivalent to 0.25 mg twice daily for Smokey. If you need help figuring the volume of CBD oil to give her, please tell me the concentration of your product in mg/mL."

Please let me know if you can see this response.

500mg.

500 mg is probably the total amount of CBD in your product. I need the concentration of CBD in mg/mL, please.

we have a pretty good size vet bill now and I em retired. can't really afford any extra charges but thank you tho

Don't worry about the phone solicitation. My state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue.

the man told us it was 500mg. there are no markings on the dropper. so,how do I know how much 0.25 is?

You'll need to speak to that man to find out the concentration or you can't know how much to give Smokey.

it is 500mg

That's not a concentration. That's how many mg total are in your product. It should tell you what the volume of the product is in ounces or mL.

the only numbers that it has on the bottle are hemp oil 236mg and cannabidiol 16.67mg

I can't tell you how much to give with just that information. You'll need to contact the seller. Mea culpa. You can return to our conversation at your convenience. Bookmark this page for ease of return.

thank you Doc

Alternatively, bring the bottle to your local pharmacist who should be able to tell you how much it contains and then how much is needed to give 0.25 mg.

You're quite welcome.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?