Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a question about my kitten. I adopted two boy kittens…

Are you there? I...

Are you there? I have a question about my kitten

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your kitten?

I adopted two boy kittens a week ago. One came and was sneezing and had lots of nose discharge. I contacted the rescue group and they got him seek by their vet yesterday. He’s on antibiotics now for a cold and they have him eye ointment since apparently his eyes looked irritated to them (I didn’t notice that). His brother was totally healthy! Now today he woke up with some bad eye thing going on I have pics

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kitten's name?

Harley is the one with the eye thing today. Jax is the one with the cold

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?

No. Not that I know of. He is 15-16 weeks old and healthy otherwise. He literally did not have this yesterday

2/21/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to help with Harley. Please go ahead and send the pictures.

Okay, I'm seeing some redness and swelling around his left eye. Is that what you are concerned about?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m putting terramycin on it, other guys prescription. My vet friend said to try

You can try that but I'm worried, with the hair loss, that this could be ringworm.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh god not that. I believe they were tested for that?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m really worried cause I have a toddler

If they weren't showing any signs at the shelter, it's not something they routinely check for. I would keep the kittens away from your toddler until you know that they do not have ringworm. You can call and ask the shelter if they can check them under a black lamp. Some (but not all) ringworm lesions glow apple green under a black light. Treatment is pretty straightforward. Just wash your hands after touching them.

You might want to handle them with exam gloves until you find out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow this is stressful. I wasn’t expecting this

Yeah, it's always alarming when they have something that could be transmitted to you and your toddler. However, with basic precautions like hand washing, you shouldn't get it. The gloves are just an added precaution. You can get them at CVS or Walgreens.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If the kitten or kittens do have that what’s the treatment? They’re both on antibiotics now and eye ointment

There are two ways to treat. One is by putting lime sulfur on them a few times a week (the shelter will have some and will tell you how to apply it). Or you could give them an anti-fungal medication called fluconazole. The shelter might have it, or you might have to get it from your vet.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I will check with them for sure!

Great, good luck!

If I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating now. If you have any further questions, I would be happy to continue the conversation here.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Cat Veterinarian