Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I am concerned for my new adopted fiv cat. We were told that…

Hi thereI am concerned...

Hi thereI am concerned for my new adopted fiv cat. We were told that he was probably about 4 years old and had a big respiratory infection/flu as they told me when I got him. Since then he’s been on antibiotics and went from being lethargic and sick to happy. it seems he was eating a lot, going to the bathroom just fine, mobile and chatty. Until last night when I noticed what I think is a twitch in his tail and barely any movement from him. My partner said he got up all by himself thought to go to the bathroom this morning and after just found him laying in the litter box after that as if he was too tired to move. Comeplete change from yesterday morning.Him being a new cat to my life and also having fiv, I’m very unsure of what I should be looking for and concerned about. I was told to keep him comfortable and stress free, treat him as a normal cat though and beware if he starts to get the flu again. But how he is acting now doesn’t seem like the flu but it also doesn’t seem right and I’m worried. Is there anything I should be doing to help him here before going to a vet. A clinic is about an hour drive away and i want to be sure it’s not just something he’ll deal with on his own soon or that we can deal with here at home.Thank you so much!! Talk to you shortly, I appreciate you taking the time to answer me concerns/questions.Tested positive for fiv, prone to upper respitory infections, went from stray to neutered before recent adoption, he was found having scratched his ears so much until they became open wounds which were then stitched and now healed, but deformed. Not in his records but I’ve noticed that he may not be able to hear in one of his ears and was told that he is showing signs of possible neurological disorder often found in fiv cats I’ve heard- noticeable in his right eye

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

That is everything I know about him so far

2/15/2018
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian here to help answer your questions. Are you available?

I am available thank you

Hi. I am very concerned about your kitty from what you describe. You said he has been on antibiotics recently for a respiratory infection?

I adopted him not even a month ago and they gave me antibiotics to help with his flu/upper respiratory infection. They used those two terms interchangeably in conversation during his adoption. He finished his antibiotics about a week and half ago. 3 days into taking the medication I notice great change. He was becoming a completely normal kitty like they said he would and since then, he’s looked and seemed great, until last night.
Sorry I may be able to call soon as requested just not at this moment, I just stepped out. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

Don't worry about the phone call. It is automatically offered.

Oh okay, thank you for letting me know

Is he eating anything? Or vomiting at all? Will he get up at all? Or is he just laying in the litter box.

He is not touching food this morning, no vomiting though, and no he won’t get up. We took him out of the litter box this morning and put him on a pillow, he has since been laying there. I can’t tell if it’s lethargy from anything specific but he has been laying down barely moving much since last night so I can’t see why he would be this tired.

I wonder if he has developed a fever despite the antibiotics or even pneumonia. Sometimes they can even get an upset stomach from the antibiotics.

It is not normal for him to not be moving and be very lethargic. You mentioned they thought maybe he had some neurologic signs. I would be very worried about him.

I think even though it is an hour drive to the vet, I would get him there right away. If this has been going on since last night and he's not eating and acting like this, he is going to get dehydrated and this will make everything worse.

Can you take him to the vet?

Okay great,I believe so, I will find a way to take him to the vet then if it’s something to be very concerned about.

It is not normal and I know you only just adopted him, but hopefully it is something simple they can fix. But I would be worried with what you describe.

Can I answer anything else for you?

is there any specific brand or kind of food that you can recommmend for him being an fiv kitty? The shelter didn’t do the best job at explaining the care for cats like him.

There is no different care for him. He will be predisposed to getting infections his whole life, but often they can live a normal life if they do not develop cancer from the FIV.

I would do an adult maintenance diet, like Purina Pro Plan or Iams.

Okay good to know,Thank you very much for answers my concerns

You're very welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.

*********************************************************************************

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service (using the STARS) once you have all the information you need so I can continue to help others on this site. You are still able to ask me questions even after you rate. Thank you!

Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Cat Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Christina