Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

What is the best brand of food to feed my kitten? So far…

Hi, what is the best...
Hi, what is the best brand of food to feed my kitten? So far I’ve been feeding him ivory coat, royal canin and applaws. I just want him to be as healthy as possible.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/9/2018
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

There is not one best brand because some kittens do well on one food verses another.

The most important thing is to read the label. If you red the label of the Royal canin, it has corn in wheat in the first few ingredients. Those are grains, which would make the stools larger and could cause allergic issues down the road.

The Ivory coat and Applaws are good.

I also like Wellness and Blue.

The first ingredient should be real meat.

Meat bi-products are not pieces of meat but left over parts.

If you look at the ingredients in Wellness for example, deboned chicken is the first ingredient. That is actually meat.

Then you want to avoid grains such as corn, maize, wheat, and soy. Those are cheap fillers that can cause food allergies over time and are not as digestible.

Rice and oatmeal are okay as long as your pet does not have food allergies.

Try to get natural preservatives as well. It will say natural preservatives on the label.

Wellness and Blue both have deboned meat as the first ingredients, and do not have grains, as well as have natural preservatives so those would be my preferred choices over what you are currently feeding.

Does that make sense to you? Do you have any other questions I can assist you with?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Cat Veterinarian
thank you so much for your assistance! I appreciate it so much!

My pleasure. : ) You are a good kitty parent to find a good food for him.

I should also mention that whenever you change to a new food, do it gradually over a weeks time so they do not develop diarrhea. A little new food, and a little less old food, each day until you are at all new food.

If he were to develop diarrhea from the food changing, put him on a bland diet of plain cooked chicken until his stools are normal. Then gradually add in the new food to the bland boiled chicken.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby