Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has either a very stuffy nose or a cat head cold. my…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi my...

Second opinion] Hi my cat has either a very stuffy nose or a cat head cold.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your cat?

Hi my 4 yo cat has either a Very stuffy nose or a cat head cold

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your cat seem to hurt?

I don't think he's painful.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the cat's name and age?

Meow Meow 4 yo male. 21lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

Stuffy nose, or head cold He's appetite seems fine

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/7/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 2 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Actually, the situation is that upper respiratory tract disease { Cat flu } is very common in the cat, such cats may be coughing and sneezing and may also have a nasal discharge, sometimes the eyes are affected with conjunctivitis type symptoms as well. Very often this disease is viral in origin, sometimes these cats are otherwise quite bright and happy, but at other times they can be depressed and lethargic.

2. Where this is just a minor bout of cat flu and the cat is still very bright then the disease can pass on its own as a human cold will, but at other times the disease can be become chronic and last a long time, sometimes even for life. For this reason, your best plan is to have Meow Meow checked over by your local vet as there are prescription drugs such as antibiotics which can help. you can read more on this disease via this link: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Meow Meow's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Meow Meow is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his respiratory infection ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cat still has stuffy nose.
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 1 month ago

Thanks for the update, did your vet put Meow Meow on antibiotics?