Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I am wondering what brand of dry cat food is the best to…

Customer Question
I am wondering what...

I am wondering what brand of dry cat food is the best to feed my two 2 year and 1 year old cats. Also the older one is eating her food and then going to his.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the cat's name?

Minnie is the older female and Flash is the year old male.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Minnie?

Do you recommend dry food or wet food or both.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
2/6/2018
Cat Veterinarian: Sophie-Vet, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Sophie-Vet
Sophie-Vet, Veterinarian

Hi there, my name is***** and I would like to try to help you today.

Can I ask do either of your cats have any allergies or intolerances? Do either have a history of bladder problems?

With commercial cat food in general the more you spend the better quality proteins and ingredients you buy, so naturally I always recommend people to feed the most expensive food for their budget. Without allergies you have a great selection. Cats probe to urine or bladder infections are encouraged to have more wet food in their diet to increase their water intake. There is no need to do this if your cats do not suffer from these conditions. I would certainly recommend some of my favourite brands as Hills science plan, Royal canin or purines proplan. They all make complete dry food for young adult cats. Some make diets specifically for neutered cats as they have lowered calorie requirements. These diets are complete, meaning you dont need to feed anything else for them to have a exactly the right balance of food types (protein/carbohydrates/fats) as well as vitamins and minerals. They are very easy to get right. There are lots of fad diets with a large social medical following such as RAW/BARF feeding and grain free diets but unless your cat has a specific medical need I don’t believe these are beneficial and sometimes detrimental.

I hope this answers your question?

Your question is still open so I thought I would check in to see if you still needed help at all?